Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Best engine package for 38 TopGun TS (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/117115-best-engine-package-38-topgun-ts.html)

pm203 11-24-2005 10:22 PM

Re: Best engine package for 38 TopGun TS

Whipples are very good but harder on the drives.

blume 11-24-2005 10:51 PM

same Randy, he would work with you to sell 2 new motors.

Quiet Storm 11-24-2005 11:20 PM

I would go with the 525's at first and put Whipple's on when you get to know the boat. Just build the XR's as strong as you can.

Quiet Storm 11-24-2005 11:22 PM

What's this thing look like?

WildWarrior 11-25-2005 06:50 AM

I would go with the 525s unless you go with a non Bravo drive set up, Beefed up Bravos won't take over 700hp for very long.
Good Luck with the new Gun!

DaDaDa 11-25-2005 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Quiet Storm
What's this thing look like?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

375stinger 11-25-2005 09:16 AM

id take the existing motors and sell the whipples. for most cost effective reliable package in ur situation

Pier Pressure Marine 11-25-2005 09:34 AM

I owned that boat before it was sold to the guy who rolled it. It ran FANTASTIC with the power that was in it (500 efi's and Vortech chargers). The best 38 T/S I have ever had. It ran upper 90's in fresh water, and had incredible power all the way up there. If the power is still good, there is no question, put it back in. There was never any drive issues. They held together fine. We never had any trouble with that boat. It runs great at hi speed, and runs great around the dock. The only thing was it does not get onto plane very well if it is loaded with people and fuel. If you lowered the prop pitch it would jump out of the water, but ran on the rev. limiters. Go to a bigger pitch to run upper 90's and the thing would cavitate coming out of the water. Once you get the feel of how to get on plane with the big blades it is great.
And you are right, the stereo is unreal! we had it installed here in Canada, it sounds great.
let me know if you need any more help or info on this project, I will help you if I can.
(905) 646-2252

offshoredrillin 11-25-2005 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Pier Pressure Marine
I owned that boat before it was sold to the guy who rolled it. It ran FANTASTIC with the power that was in it (500 efi's and Vortech chargers). The best 38 T/S I have ever had. It ran upper 90's in fresh water, and had incredible power all the way up there. If the power is still good, there is no question, put it back in. There was never any drive issues. They held together fine. We never had any trouble with that boat. It runs great at hi speed, and runs great around the dock. The only thing was it does not get onto plane very well if it is loaded with people and fuel. If you lowered the prop pitch it would jump out of the water, but ran on the rev. limiters. Go to a bigger pitch to run upper 90's and the thing would cavitate coming out of the water. Once you get the feel of how to get on plane with the big blades it is great.
And you are right, the stereo is unreal! we had it installed here in Canada, it sounds great.
let me know if you need any more help or info on this project, I will help you if I can.
(905) 646-2252

good info Jack, welcome aboard.... gino, if you want to sell the Vortech setup let me know, got me thinking now:D..I have 500's in my Tiger

Airpacker 11-25-2005 10:40 AM

Gino, keeping it? 525's, flippin it, buyers choice.