Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Outlaw 25 is it (I think), but gotta make the wife happy (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/117498-outlaw-25-i-think-but-gotta-make-wife-happy.html)

JasonSmith 11-30-2005 04:58 PM

Re: Outlaw 25 is it (I think), but gotta make the wife happy

25 Outlaw would be my choice also. It is going to provide a much better ride and also that would be a selling point for your wife as she is breast feeding the ride will keep them milk jugs from bouncing so much. You have to decide if that is a selling point or not. :D

JasonSmith 11-30-2005 04:59 PM

And for all that matters why can't she go under the nose and feed? My wife and 2 yr old ride down there most of the time anyway.

chrisf 11-30-2005 06:01 PM

Final decisions will be made after I test drive all of the boats, then go to the L.A. boat show in January, but what is killing me is I know the Outlaw 25 is what I want based on ride and look. What concerns me is capitulating on an Islander for the wife to find out the ride sucks like my Bayliner. What is the 242 Islander, a 23 outlaw hull?, or completley different.

Milk Jugs issues aside, The wife tends to think the minimum boat should be a 30' cabin cruiser with a flybridge and a kitchen. That is why the stock fairing is scaring her a bit. Marriage is all about compromise, so she is giving a little. I just want to take the wind out of her complaining sails with the increased fairing, but if I do go Outlaw, I will try without first to see is she likes it.

Any thoughts on the wood versus fiberglass stringer issue? What Outlaw years were each and should I be concerned about this?

Any opinions on the perf 272/275 being a different hull than the Outlaw 25?

My Bayliner tops out at 55ph on my GPS (1/2 tank, me alone). The Outlaw with a 496 should go 65. My other concern is with a bigger boat, means you feel slower, so will I be itching to go 75 in a year after the purchase? I was told above 70mph is the cutoff for big boy territory. It can be deadly at that speed if you make a mistake. Is that correct?

Everyone's help here is wonderful. Better to get this straight from you guys with experience than some B.S. salesman trying to close a deal. Last week was actualy told I could tow a 6,000lbs boat with my MDX no problem, because that is Acura's "secret" maximum. You got to be kidding me!

Thanks again for the replies

Chris

berns29scarab 11-30-2005 06:21 PM

29 scarab with twin 350 mpi's...i ran a 25 OL prior to buying my 29 scarab, and after running the scarab there was no looking back...scarab won hands down. i went 2 years older in the scarab to keep the $$$ the same best decision i ever made.

yesrej 11-30-2005 07:12 PM

i have a 2002 25ol. buy the 496 ho. it is worth it now and it will be worth it when you sell.i have seen 70 gps with low fuel.yes you will want to go faster in a year. doesnt matter how fast you go this year you will want to go faster next. is for the wind screen, ive never heard a complaint from the girl. the deflector does just fine. i tow mine with a ram 1500 i pull over a mountain and it pulls just fine. if your not towing far i think you might be ok but dont get in trouble. boat on the trailer with fuel, i would say 6500 maybe a little more. if you have an other questions i would be more then happy to answer them. if i can. good luck to you.

Sydwayz 11-30-2005 08:07 PM

You will be happiest in the 25OL hands down, however if you can get out on a 26' Sonic, I think you will like the ride better, and the cabin is nicer and bigger than the 25OL.

bearpaw 11-30-2005 08:20 PM

my wife wouldn't be happy with a baja in the driveway. :evilb:

t500hps 11-30-2005 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by chrisf
t500hps,
I will check out the Formula 252, but I thought I read somewhere that the 232, 252, are wimpy versions in style/perf compared to the Formual 242. No insult intended, but would love clarification on that.

Thanks again for the replies.

Chris

The Formula 252 is the smallest model made since the early 80's. ( never made a Formula 232 that I know of) The older (pre 1991) 242's are actually a larger boat than the newer 252. A friend had a 252 and loved it before moving up to a 28 sonic. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure it was available in a cuddy. Just a thought because Formulas are all well built....even the 252.

Dave M 12-01-2005 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by bearpaw
my wife wouldn't be happy with a baja in the driveway. :evilb:

LMAO! Seriously, why are you limiting yourself to Bajas? There's a lot of other fish in the sea.

My boat has little wind protection. My wife is not crazy about it but doesn't complain too much. Get her a set of good glasses to block the wind. My wife usually rides in the back seat with my son and my daughter sits up front. Plus, I am in the boat 100% of the time, my wife maybe 50%.

The smoother ride of the OL should make her happy. I think the relentless pounding you take in a smaller shallow vee is worse than the wind.

BAJA WILL 12-01-2005 07:48 AM

If you are going Baja you will be very happy with the 25 Out law, I have multiple friends that have them new and used and they are great boats for the money, as for motors 502mpi or 496HO these two motors will put you around 70mph +-. you will get allot of stupid suggestions that don't even fit your requirements, just ignore them.

WILL :drink: