Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   NJ,CT,NYC, and Long Island OSOer's (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/117532-nj-ct-nyc-long-island-osoers.html)

McGary911 12-01-2005 10:32 AM

Re: NJ,CT,NYC, and Long Island OSOer's

Gotta put in for the Jersey crew here. There is ferry service that leaves from both Atlantic Highlands and Highlands that will put you in Manhatten in 45 minutes. http://www.seastreak.com/SeaStreak It's a very nice ride. A bit pricey though, about $300 \ month the last time i checked. There are tons of nice places to boat in the area...sandy hook, atlantic ocean spots, and barnegeat bay a bit to the south. Lots of nice waterfront places to grab a bite too. Find it on mapquest and check out the area. Seabright is nice and somewhat affordable.

J-Bonz 12-01-2005 11:04 AM

Thanks for all the help so far. I will be in NYC for a week before christmas. This will give me a chance to drive around and check out
Jr.

rtaylor 12-01-2005 12:15 PM

I lived in Manhattan for 10 years, I had a bot while I lived there (kept it in Jesey City).

Since then I have moved to Jersey City and would highly recommend it for several reaswons. Hoboken is congested and real estate has matured. Jersey City is still maturing and has a lot of new development going on.

If you have a power boat or want one I think the most cost effective way is to put it on a trailer and keep it at one of several locations in Jersey City.

Living in JC and putting the boat on a trailer will make the boating life for a young guy a lot more attainable.

Feel free to call me, Im probably not much older than you anyway. 917-254-7114.

cowisl 12-01-2005 03:45 PM

HOBOKEN! All of my friends that graduated with me last year are there. They love it.

J-Bonz 12-01-2005 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by rtaylor
I lived in Manhattan for 10 years, I had a bot while I lived there (kept it in Jesey City).

Since then I have moved to Jersey City and would highly recommend it for several reaswons. Hoboken is congested and real estate has matured. Jersey City is still maturing and has a lot of new development going on.

If you have a power boat or want one I think the most cost effective way is to put it on a trailer and keep it at one of several locations in Jersey City.

Living in JC and putting the boat on a trailer will make the boating life for a young guy a lot more attainable.

Feel free to call me, Im probably not much older than you anyway. 917-254-7114.

Thanks, Thats one to think about. We looked at about buying a condo around Paula's hook. Great area, just a little to pricy for a starter home/condo. We both want to be around green lawns,trees, and some where you can park a car or two.

Vinny P 12-01-2005 05:34 PM

I have been on Long Islands South Shore for years. I prefer the option of being in the ocean or in the many bays and canals. There are too many restaurants to begin to list. The further east you go, the further the run to Manhattan by water. I keep my boat in Freeport at a high and dry marina. I think its the best case scenerio. If you want to get to the city, its only about a 35 mile ride by ocean. Ofcourse, the ocean has its down side as you could imagine. That 35 mile ride can become a real bad nightmare. A close watch of the weather predictions is a must.

Stormrider 12-01-2005 07:54 PM

Long Beach LI is a good spot.
I'd rather boat on the southshore.
you can always run inland, and you can run to Fire Island, which you and your S.O. would love.

rainmn 12-01-2005 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
.....and some where you can park a car or two.

That almost rules out Hoboken. Parking in Hoboken sucks azz.
I have to agreee with McGary911's vote...Atlantic Highlands area. I'm considerably further south, but I work from home. Put my time in working in the city, and I'm done. I'll never commute into Manhattan again.

J-Bonz 12-01-2005 10:03 PM

WOW, THis is all great help. I gotta alot of places to check out in weeks to come. I guess the only other question is if you guys know of any companys or leads to find a mechanical engineering job. I have a really good resume. I was a cerified marine mechanic for about four years. Recentlly I co-oped 4 semesters in a engine testing lab. We did lubricity testing for small engines to diesels, gained alot of dyno endurance testing.
Well, thanks again
Jack Jr.
O yeah, My girl would love fire island

Titan 12-02-2005 07:12 AM

I would have to say the North Shore of Long Island is the spot to live in. Better schools and smaller Villages are more quaint and family friendly. Just my opinion!!! The south shore does have more watering holes on the water front though!!! And as Storm said Fire Island is a fun place to hang out!!!! Best of both worlds is House on the North Shore to live and a High and Dry on the South Shore.