Notices

Open Ocean Racing

Old 12-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Open Ocean Racing

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
but nascar does have classes..you make your car to the specs that nascar mandates no more than 750 hp, they provide the tires. if you want to run less hp you race busch.
Well, obviously I meant Nextel Cup cars. 99% of fans of stock car racing equate Nascar with the Nextel Cup racing.

Even if they are a different class, at least they don't race them at the same time on the same track.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Offshoredrillin my last post wasn't directed toward you just in general. You type faster than I do!

I agree I think in a perfect world Factory type racing is where it's at. Sealed engines with equal power and may the best man/machine win. I love Factory racing but this isn't about what I or we like. It's about what the general public will like and WATCH. I just don't think that you will get enough boats to compete with hp restrictions. At least not at first. Just my $.02.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by noboat

And six boats in a 150 mile race isn't going to give the action needed! You will need a lot of boats and some GOOD DECK TO DECK racing, period.

Have you watched that Apache Offshore video in the VIP section? I turned it on a bit ago, just to refresh my memory of it, and ended up watching the whole thing again.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:51 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda
Well, obviously I meant Nextel Cup cars. 99% of fans of stock car racing equate Nascar with the Nextel Cup racing.

Even if they are a different class, at least they don't race them at the same time on the same track.
true but the limiting factor is the track.. the longest track is talladega at 2.5 miles (i think) the ocean is huge . I under stand what everyone is saying and there are good points to them all. however it is just my opinon that there has to be some sort of guideline for the race, wether it is broken down by hp, boat length whatever, there has to be something. If a stock 36 v hull was to go up against a 46 ft cat with big power, the only chance the v would have would be if the big cat broke.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cuda
Have you watched that Apache Offshore video in the VIP section? I turned it on a bit ago, just to refresh my memory of it, and ended up watching the whole thing again.
Yes you and I will like it because we are boat freaks! But we need the general public to like and WATCH it if the sport is to grow. And I would still rather watch 20 boats racing than 6.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Registered

true but the limiting factor is the track.. the longest track is talladega at 2.5 miles (i think) the ocean is huge . I under stand what everyone is saying and there are good points to them all. however it is just my opinon that there has to be some sort of guideline for the race, wether it is broken down by hp, boat length whatever, there has to be something. If a stock 36 v hull was to go up against a 46 ft cat with big power, the only chance the v would have would be if the big cat broke.
Exactly, this is the ocean, not the redneck roundy-round! IMO you have to have some guidelines to get smaller/slower boats to compete. More boats=more action!
Old 12-04-2005, 04:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by noboat
Offshoredrillin my last post wasn't directed toward you just in general. You type faster than I do!

I agree I think in a perfect world Factory type racing is where it's at. Sealed engines with equal power and may the best man/machine win. I love Factory racing but this isn't about what I or we like. It's about what the general public will like and WATCH. I just don't think that you will get enough boats to compete with hp restrictions. At least not at first. Just my $.02.
thats ok, I dindnt take offense, and I think the factorys will come after someone else does it. however the classes are setup, factorys will respond when they see there is money to be made...I think nascar is a good analogy/comparison as it started out grass roots. I remember watching races with my dad, and then 10 yrs ago on tnn on sun mornings you could watch mud bog and swamp races with modifed buggys and tractor tires. I also think that if enough people got together and did it, maybe as an open race...the sponsers may take note...if you build it they will come...
Old 12-04-2005, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The original post by T.B was in response to "WHY DOESN'T CIGARETTE RACE"......

His contention was/is that Cigarette and many other manufacturers would jump in if the format was true old style, man against the sea, hardcore, bad a$$ boats with tough guy crews.

Nothing posted to this point leads me to that same conclusion.

Most manufacturers don't bother with racing because they don't recognize a return on investment. [With the exception of Fountain and a few small, specialized builders].

Cigarette was involved in racing prior to Skip Braver's purchase of the company.

So my question is, did Mr. Bravers decision hurt Cigarette sales? I personally don't believe the production numbers will support that supposition.

How about Nortech??? Is their recent success due in any part to supporting racing?

Yes, old style racing is a romantic thought. But it lacks almost everything required to attract builders, sponsors, media and fans in todays world.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

factory support wasnt there in the early days of nascar either so your point is mute...they came after they saw the interest.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:10 PM
Registered

but nascar does have classes..you make your car to the specs that nascar mandates no more than 750 hp, they provide the tires. if you want to run less hp you race busch.
You hit the nail square on the head!!! They don't run Busch on the same track and the same time, hell they don't even run it at the same venue on the same weekend. Exactly my point about too many classes. Image running both classes at the same time I'd bet they'd lose 70% of their fan base.

Nascar keeps the 2 classes as far apart as possible yet the brain trust in offshore racing runs 10 classes in a single afternoon with many of the the classes running together.

Quick Reply: Open Ocean Racing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.