Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Open Ocean Racing (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/117726-open-ocean-racing.html)

Edward R. Cozzi 12-04-2005 07:20 PM

Re: Open Ocean Racing

Hey, this is Offshore Only, let's prove it with an internal "club" event. That will give the goof up racing organizations something to think about also.

I, personally, will come out of mothballs to participate in this event!

NASTY HABIT 12-04-2005 07:21 PM

I really thought the idea of an endurance race such as the Miami to N.Y. would have much more appeal , checkpoints along the way(for spectators to get a view of equip.) more people and areas to get involved and create an event. Although the logistics of such an event would be enormous as would be the cost ,planning,commitment etc etc.

Racing to Bimini is not far from what is offered currently except it's a straight line ...I've spent many a day running to Bimini w.o.t. in a 24 footer of course stopping to drag a dolphin or 2 in the boat at any good floaties.

mr_velocity 12-04-2005 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by ChiToWn TapouT
Yeah but a race track (paved or ocean) is a little different
then running "open" ocean race. Were are talking 1 race once a year to "attract"
new fans and ultimately new buyers of boats. TV coverage is where its at, watching
the races on OLN sux your lucky if you get to see more then 2 boats in the screen.
You got to get on a major network its where the money is at.
What sponser doesnt want to be seen on a major network.
Broadcast from Fl. or Cali, MI or the East Coast. Its all in the way you market it.
Once a year its gotta be billed as the "super bowl" of offshore racing. Its all about the hype.

I dont think anyone is saying the whole year should be open ocean just
once a year so when you guys come to town the people who watched on tv
might actually come out to see it live.
If I was a MFG and they said it is to be the "super bowl" of offshore racing on a
major network (sat or sun afternoon) you bet your a$$ I'll have my team out there no matter what the cost.

It's not any different. To get your dream of major coverage you need fans, people that sponsors are paying to advertise to and lots of them. Otherwise where do you think the money is going to come from? The high performance boating market is too small and there is not enough volume and margin from the manufacturers other than Reggie to waste money in this. And it is a waste from a business prespective.

I'd like to see endurance runs, around LI would be great. I just fail to see how you can build a business case to pull it off when there is no following in the sport.

Edward R. Cozzi 12-04-2005 07:37 PM

It's not our job to further the fan base, get manufacturers to participate, get sponsors, get TV coverage or talk celebrities into racing.

A winner-take-all Miami to Bimini to West Palm to Ft. Lauderdale race would be enough fun and thrills for guys like us. Hell, I'd even get back in shape again just to do it! 145 miles crossing the Gulfstream twice would make it an interesting day, not to mention the satisfaction of finishing.

mr_velocity 12-04-2005 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
I run my own race team sponserships and I am aware of the cost associated with it. I'm not trying to build a new race program, I'm speaking soley of a once a year big race. for all the marbles for a year. I see the prototype series and the rolex sgs series which i sponser two teams all out on the track at the same time...take for example the rolex 24 hrs at Daytona, all the teams are out there and it works, the sponserchip dollars are there, big names from nextel are driving GT cars... I still think with the right people working on it, it can be done...no one will know until its tried.

Rolex and Nextel are already involved in auto racing so this is a fit in their marketing program. Try to pull them in cold for something that they don't normally participate in.

Why not take the money you dump in cars and dump it into boats? Probably doesn't make business sense otherwise I am sure you would.

I'm not against seeing offshore racing move forward no matter what format. However, these same talks happen year after year, everyone has the old "new" idea and we all think they're great. No one talks about the business end of it and how to make it happen. We are all passionate about it and we've already sold ourselves. Then we all wonder why the rest of American can't see how cool this is or why corps wouldn't dump money in it.

offshoredrillin 12-04-2005 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
Rolex and Nextel are already involved in auto racing so this is a fit in their marketing program. Try to pull them in cold for something that they don't normally participate in.
Why not take the money you dump in cars and dump it into boats? Probably doesn't make business sense otherwise I am sure you would.

My primary market is in cars, but I am expanding into the marine market. This is something that we as individuals would have to do and start at the grassroots level. I think an annual run for the bragging rights would be great. after the initial one, or for the inital one, see who wants to pick it up and build from there...

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
Hey, this is Offshore Only, let's prove it with an internal "club" event. That will give the goof up racing organizations something to think about also.

I, personally, will come out of mothballs to participate in this event!

Ed I'm sure you would have offers from many others with rigs faster than my tiger, but it would be my pleasure if you wanted to run in my Tiger with me...

woogie 12-04-2005 07:54 PM

Whole different media game now.. got to have the drama. Need the reality - drivers crapping pants and bumping choppers. Get back at the passion of the sport by having the drivers as colorful as the boats again - women and fans love it.

What John Force has done for Drag Racing. Needs a whole new angle to keep up with the times. If it works mfg's like CigRacing will come.. Where is Ike Natista ? - That Muscle Team seems conservative...

thedonz 12-04-2005 07:56 PM

bring the 70's and 80's back real offshore, not this 50 yards from the shore line. it's not like there are huge sponcors in this sport anyways besides a couple. 85 % of the racers that race now days pay for there own stuff. that simple

jr mike

Edward R. Cozzi 12-04-2005 08:04 PM

Ed I'm sure you would have offers from many others with rigs faster than my tiger, but it would be my pleasure if you wanted to run in my Tiger with me...[/QUOTE]

Great! Thanks for the offer. Let's get started preparing the boat as soon as the event is scheduled.

Edward R. Cozzi 12-04-2005 08:06 PM

.. Where is Ike Natista ? - That Muscle Team seems conservative...[/QUOTE]

Do you mean Eike Battista "Spirit of the Amazon" from many years ago?