Notices

Open Ocean Racing

Old 12-05-2005, 08:22 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts
Default Re: Open Ocean Racing

I agree, i think we need to do it and it will grow as it grows... The subject of classes is going to have to be addressed. I would love to see the Dave Scotts and Oliver Bock (big soldier-king of the Hudson) participate. However someone with a relativly stock boat such as mine. we dont need a million classes, but I believe the more winners that we have the better the participants will be. more people will want to maybe take that chance with thier boats.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:26 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiToWn TapouT
Velocity your right with the points you have made,
not profitable and no fan base. Why would big name
corps take their money out of cars and dump into boats.?

So we now have the "Big Race" setup but the reality is
we have to start out small.
I believe OffshoreDrillin said "grassroots"and ED suggested
an "internal OSO club run".
This is definitly a start.

Now who wants to take charge?
I cannot take credit for the idea. I was quoting CBR.

The Miami-to-New York run that George Morales won had no classes or second place money. It was winner take all and you paid your fee and took your chances. It was all heavy-hitters and not for the spectators except at the start and finish.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you guys are on the right track with the "grassroots/OSO club" racing event. It all has to start somewhere. And I hate to bring up auto racing since it really is nothing like auto racing. But look at how drag racing got its start. Or the Bonneville races. A group of "good ole boys" wanted to have fun and show off there stuff. they weren't always the multi million dollar corporate extravaganzas that they are today. People came and had a good time and the word spread, more people came to see what it was all about or if their "ride" had what it took to compete and win. Christ, stock car racing started as a bunch of moonshiners pretty much racing to test out there moonshine runners. You are all worried about sponsorship and marketing and fan base. These things will come, or maybe they won't maybe not a single "team" will even make a dollar off of racing? But us as fans/boaters will have fun and enjoy our sport the way we want it, not the way someone tells us we want it or what is good for them.

If you want it to happen and have a chance I think you will need 2 or 3 races the first year or two. East coast, West coast, and maybe a Great lakes area. That way no one feels left out. And no one feels that they can't participate because they can't afford to haul their boat 3000 miles each way just for bragging rights. If it catches on then go to a N. east and S. east, N.west and S.west and 2 great lakes races a year if the participation is there.

You can all argue about fan base and sponsors and all the rest of that s**t until everyone gets sick of it and gives up on this idea, or we can get out there and try to start something. I don't remember seeing "Granny Clampets Homemade Wiskey" or "Dr. Leary's LSD for Mental Health" on any pics of old stock cars. But now every liquor and drug company out there sponsors someone.

I guess what I'm saying is if we want it to happen it will. And if other people get interested great, if not at least we are enjoying or sport how we want to enjoy it. And isn't the enjoyment why we all own boats anyways?
Old 12-05-2005, 09:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Love Machine
I work for Nextel (now Sprint) and I approached the marketing team that landed the Nascar deal. I wanted to see if they'd be interested in spending some marketing dollars at the OPA Cambridge, MD racing event.

They gave me a one liner "We only sponsor or participate in professional sporting events!"

OUCH!
Exactly. Please post this everyday for the next year because people don't get it. When you are sponsored you are a representative of that company. They don't want to see you drunk in the pits or out at the bars or out talking smack on web sites. We love it and we think the fans love it but there isn't a company in the world that will put their name on it.

The only way that these endurance races are going to be pulled off is with corporate money. Look at the logistical costs of running an "inshore" race you can probably multiply that by 10 or 20 for an endurance race.

Yea I'm different, I've never looked a racing just a big fun party. I won't derail you thread anymore.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

??? Are you saying no one drinks or throws partys at football games or Nascar races. In advertising, coporate image is important. That's probably why Dave Scott can get Bud as a sponser. Dave is as professional as they come. But it's also about the size of your audience. Bud will spend more on Nascar than offshore because that's where the people are. It's going to be hard to sell sponsers on a sport with no spectators.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:26 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
Exactly. Please post this everyday for the next year because people don't get it. When you are sponsored you are a representative of that company. They don't want to see you drunk in the pits or out at the bars or out talking smack on web sites. We love it and we think the fans love it but there isn't a company in the world that will put their name on it.

The only way that these endurance races are going to be pulled off is with corporate money. Look at the logistical costs of running an "inshore" race you can probably multiply that by 10 or 20 for an endurance race.

Yea I'm different, I've never looked a racing just a big fun party. I won't derail you thread anymore.
I disagree, I think it can be pulled off withour corporate sponsership. the entrance fee wont be cheap, but I think people would pony up for it...
Old 12-05-2005, 12:32 PM
Registered

I kinda agree with the idea that was mentioned by Fruitta 55. We have to start somewhere. Before we get bogged down by what we ultimately would like to have. Lets just start with what we have. Lets start working on the idea of a OSO Club Endurance Run and each person will pony up a little to join in the fun. Winner takes all. All in good fun. Then, when its over, let the smack talking start. After one race, we could start to generate a buzz for a second, bigger run. We could even start to generate buzz leading into the first race. Spam the media and sporting world electronically. We can "leak" this event and see who bites. Like he mentioned earlier, Nascar, NHRA and other forms of racing simply started by a group of afficionados getting together to see who had the fastest ride. With time and persistence, they grew to what they are now. I think its time for Offshore Racing to be reborn.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 211 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RollWithIt
I kinda agree with the idea that was mentioned by Fruitta 55. We have to start somewhere. Before we get bogged down by what we ultimately would like to have. Lets just start with what we have. Lets start working on the idea of a OSO Club Endurance Run and each person will pony up a little to join in the fun. Winner takes all. All in good fun. Then, when its over, let the smack talking start. After one race, we could start to generate a buzz for a second, bigger run. We could even start to generate buzz leading into the first race. Spam the media and sporting world electronically. We can "leak" this event and see who bites. Like he mentioned earlier, Nascar, NHRA and other forms of racing simply started by a group of afficionados getting together to see who had the fastest ride. With time and persistence, they grew to what they are now. I think its time for Offshore Racing to be reborn.

Good point.......what you already have, is a big race at the end of the year in Key West. A day or so ahead of the races, run a "Cruise" with OSO members from Miami to Key West and you have to go by a checkpoint off Marathon on the way.

The "Cruise" is non-stop and the first Deep V in gets a free OSO membership and the same for the first Cat.

That's it...simple...don't screw it up with rules and speeds and classes...just do it. and see how much fun it can be.

All the boats have to be safety spec'd and everyone has to wear full racing gear, helmets, lifejackets etc. Those boats that don't qualify for this safety aspect don't run, period.

It is the old course that was run as a race between those two cities and it covered about 185 miles, if I remember correctly.

If you break down at least your not out in the Tongue of the Ocean. If it is rough, the results will be surprising to many. Top speed will go out the window.

This gives everyone almost one year to get ready and work out the details.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Registered

Allright now what?
Its been determined that its a OSO Endurance Club Run (per CBR )
Course/ Location/Date?
Entry Fee or No Fee?

Classes? Should there be Classes?
Single engine, O/B Cats & V's, I/O Cats & V's up to 1000hp,
1001hp+ Cats & V's.

Just brain storming here. What eles should be included
or changed?

Last edited by ChiToWn TapouT; 12-05-2005 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
??? Are you saying no one drinks or throws partys at football games or Nascar races. In advertising, coporate image is important. That's probably why Dave Scott can get Bud as a sponser. Dave is as professional as they come. But it's also about the size of your audience. Bud will spend more on Nascar than offshore because that's where the people are. It's going to be hard to sell sponsers on a sport with no spectators.
Not saying that the teams don't throw parties since you can party and still be very professional about it. I have had drinks with Dave Scott twice in Key West, partied with the Don Q team. I've also partied with some of the other teams from P and F classes. What seperates them is discretion. Any guess which group had team members staggering around drunk in public.

I think having said all that you answered your own statement says two different things. Dave is exactly what the corporate image needs to be, professional.

Quick Reply: Open Ocean Racing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.