Selling a Boat? Brokerage?

Notices

Selling a Boat? Brokerage?

Old 12-04-2005, 01:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Selling a Boat? Brokerage?

I'm thinking of selling my Cruiser. Should I just list it on Boat Trader, or try a Brokerage Dealer? Seems most of these dealers do nothing but list it on boat trader themselves.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Selling a Boat? Brokerage?

List it yourself... A broker is nothing more than a middle man wanting 7% to 10% for something that you could do yourself.

I sold a boat on boattrader and everything went smooth.

I had a broker sell a boat for me and I was pressured into taking much less than what I was asking (loss) then I had to pay him for it. Doesn't make much sence unless you have money to burn.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try to sell it yourself. Although we did have a broker for our Trojan, who was great, I showed the boat and spent many hours with the buyer. The good thing about a broker is that they can help with financing and sometimes will take a trade in. I do not recommend listing it with anyone who sells new boats however because they will ultimately draw buyers in with your boat and switch them to a new one. I had this happen to me when I had it listed with a local Carver/Trojan dealer. Good Luck!
Old 12-04-2005, 08:17 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the boating magazines that feature your kind of boat and see what brokerage house is doing the good advertising. Give these guys an exclusive, (Central), listing for a limited time with the understanding that your boat will be featured in their ads.

MOST IMPORTANT! Tell them what you want to NET out of the sale and don't let them talk you into a lower figure when the offers are presented.

Keep air freshners in the cabin so the first impression is good when a potential buyer comes on board. Keep your boat as immaculate as possible and have an organized folder with maintenance records and receipts. Make sure your original owners manuals are on the boat.

Good Luck!
Old 12-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SELL IT YOURSELF!!!!!!!! Plenty of web sites to use....

Everything sell for the right price.......
Old 12-04-2005, 08:59 PM
Registered
VIP Member

A broker can weed-out the scammers and time wasters. He will handle the paperwork and wire transfers. At closing the broker can be the guy who saves the deal and makes sure everybody goes home happy.

If you sell the boat yourself, YOU will be responsible for all this stuff. Do you have the expertise and TIME to mess with all this stuff? If you have a loan outstanding is a potential buyer going to trust you enough to pay off your balance so he can have clear title? Is the boat documented? Are YOU going to draw up the Coast Guard bills of sale?

Selling a boat yourself can be a big headache. Advertising on the Internet draws crooks, so don't think it's so easy. A broker earns his commission!
Old 12-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It's a 2003 Full CG Documentation, all factory paper work, and manuals.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 446 Posts

Faust, Ed is freinds with Melanie, they would be able to help you I'm sure in any way...Rob
Old 12-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by CAP071
It's a 2003 Full CG Documentation, all factory paper work, and manuals.
Cap:
I see you are where it's cold.

Not a big chance you're going to find a buyer now who will want to store his new boat for the winter.

Give me a good description of your boat and I'll check with some brokers down here and see if they're looking for anything like your boat for any of their clients.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

OH God Yea! Melanie was awesome! by far made it easy and fast. I had 4 boat loans and she made it feel good to buy this boat. I'm going to refer her to whomever looks at buying my boat.

Quick Reply: Selling a Boat? Brokerage?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.