Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boat Stereo System 101 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/117774-boat-stereo-system-101-a.html)

OldSchool 12-04-2005 07:16 PM

Boat Stereo System 101

I've decided to completely redo the stereo system in our boat this winter. The only problem is that I don't know anything about choosing what I need. :rolleyes: :D

This is what my boat currently has:

AM/FM cassette Blaupunkt head unit
Clarion 50eq graphic equalizer
a/d/s (analog and digital systems) PQ8 four channel power amplifier
4 Babb 514 marine speakers in the cabin
2 6 1/2" cheapo (west marine) speakers in the cockpit

Everything that I've listed here still works, although it is 18 years old. It has a short somewhere and messing with the rats nest of wires can make it cut in and out. I plan on replacing all of the wiring for the stereo. amp and speakers. The Babb speakers in the stabbin' cabin are wasted and I have already purchased 4 Babb 534 speakers that have to be used in their place due to a unique hole pattern.

So I'm asking for some help on what I should buy that will fit our needs. The four speakers in the cabin will never have the need to be "cranked up" and ..with dry exhaust :D :D ...we will not really be expecting to be able to hear the stereo while running. I'm NOT looking to have the loudest system on the water and I DO not want to have to add a new battery or anything like that. Basically, I'm thinking just a XM compatible head unit, an amp and 8 speakers (4 in the cabin and 4 in the cockpit). No cd player, 8-track or cassettes are needed. I'm not looking to spend thousands of $$$$ on this either.

One last thing before I open it up for suggestions..and keep in mind that I don't know what I'm doing...can I hook the 4 cabin speakers up to the head unit and the 4 cockpit speakers up to the amp (for extra volume out there)?????

OK, let's hear what you all think.

Thanks in advance,
Craig

WeaponX 12-04-2005 07:20 PM

Re: Boat Stereo System 101

Bigyellowcat. That what he DO!

MarkSmith 12-04-2005 07:23 PM

Tyson is the man.

offshoredrillin 12-04-2005 07:51 PM

It was very simple when it came time to do my boat...I payed someone that knew how to... I hate wiring...

H20 Toie 12-04-2005 07:53 PM

yep just take out a check come back in the morning :D

UNSANE 12-04-2005 09:43 PM

Yes, get an amp for the cockpit speakers. If you are not going to push subs, you probably won't need extra batteries or capacitors, although a second battery is always a good idea. Lot's of companies like JL, JBL and Rockford Fosgate (to name a few) have speakers for marine use. Co-axials are the simplest to setup. They can withstand the moisture and UV rays. A 4 channel amplifier should work best for your application. Don't pick out an amp yet, pick the speakers first. You will need to know a speaker's ohm and power rating before you buy the amp. We in the Pro Audio biz call this the "speaker load". Check out JBL, JL, RF, MTX, Sony and Kicker's websites and look at their marine speakers, see if there's anything you like or catches your eye. And stay away from the "Internet Flea Markets"!!! Most of the stuff is either stolen or counterfeit.

OldSchool 12-04-2005 09:48 PM

Thanks unsane. What would you suggest for the cockpit speakers, head unit and amp?

Like I said in my previous post, the only thing that I have already purchased is the 4 Babb speakers which will be installed in the cabin. Here are their specs:

30 oz. magnet
80 watts rms continuous
300 watts peak
4 ohm impedance
91 db SPL@1W1m

UNSANE 12-04-2005 10:02 PM

Man, those things can use an amp as well but it's not necessary. Try Rockford or JBL or JL, and look at their websites. I'm about to crash for the night but tomorrow I'll look too and get back with you. Also think about subs too, I can do up a diagram for that too if you want.

GLH 12-04-2005 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by OldSchool
...The only problem is that I don't know anything about choosing what I need....

You should work for the Government then... :drink: :D:D:D

OldSchool 12-04-2005 10:09 PM

Thanks, I appreciate it! Like I said, there really won't be a need for big volume in the cabin. I'll check those websites tomorrow to try and get ideas for the head unit.