Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Proposed Offshore Ralley - Only those serious about participating (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/117794-proposed-offshore-ralley-only-those-serious-about-participating.html)

CBR 12-06-2005 09:24 PM

Re: Proposed Offshore Ralley - Only those serious about participating

DJD, sorry, you have already been picked for safety, committee boat duties. <gg>

I am sure your boat would win in February, guess that would give you bragging rights......faster across to Bimini than a 172 MPH cat!

Top Banana 12-06-2005 09:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
You're a legend!
When I was throttling "FlapJack" for Howard Quam we were on the same race course many times!

I have a bunch of friends in RI that I visit every summer. You probably know most of them. Nickerson, Mainella, Tanury, Grace, Coduto, etc.

Thanks Ed....yes, that is a good group of people you know.

My oldest son took me to Key West last year and got the juices flowing again. He talked me into taking out the old Cigarette molds that I bought from Don Aronow and he and I are startng up banana boat co again.

The boat in the picture I posted is Spirit, which was also Rocky's boat Benihana...I bought it last year and am planning on restoring it, but first we are checking it's bottom against the 35 stock mold. I want to find out why that boat ran so fast compared to the others....I think it won 4 out of 6 races that year.

Can you imagine this boat set up again with the new materials for weight saving and modern engine and drive systems....and no steps. Don often said the 35 was the best design he ever did out of all of them.

I would love to do a "Cruise or Rally" like this again, it would certainly give us someting to get the blood flowing. I remember Bob Nordskog telling me he bought himself a new race boat for his 75th birthday......so you and I have quite a few years to go yet.

Here is a shot of my old boat which you would remember.

1waterboy1 12-06-2005 10:25 PM

Make it a race with some formal rules; and I am sure there would be alot of interest from participants,spectators,sponsors
and the media.A mass start of a bunch of big vees and cats heading out to the open ocean to do battle would really be something to see.I remember watching over twenty open class boats hit the starting line at the 1980 Benihana Grand Prix.I am sure you remember that too Charlie;wasn't that the first year of The Rums of Puerto Rico sponsorship of your team?I remember Tom Gentrys Cigarette "American Eagle"crashing in an early morning test on race day right off the beach!!!!!!Bill Elswick's "Long Shot"Cigarette ended up winning the race that was made up of over EIGHTY BOATS in FIVE CLASSES!

lucky strike 12-06-2005 10:42 PM

We won in the P class that year in a Viper called Great Adventure.

LS

1waterboy1 12-06-2005 11:03 PM

Hey Lucky Strike...we met in Key West; I drive the "Wanted" Cigarette...we had a tough week.Always loved Bill's black Viper "Great Adventure" and your Cigarette especially as "Wings".1980 was a great year, there were over thirty Production Class boats if I rememer correctly.By the way..its freezing up here at the Jersey Shore!

Mark

lucky strike 12-06-2005 11:14 PM

1waterboy1
It was great talking to you about the good old days. The Viper was great in the rough stuff Bill & I won many races in it that year. We came in second in points in 1980.
When you get to FL give me a call and we'll do some wave hoppin.

Steve

CBR 12-07-2005 06:25 AM

Glad to see more of our mentors and forefathers coming out of the woodwork for this. It would be fun to see an old dude in an "old boat" put the ocean smackdown on the youngsters in new boats. <gg>

Much of the final shape of this event is going to depend on "higher powers", can't say more than that for now.

Top Banana 12-07-2005 07:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 1waterboy1
Make it a race with some formal rules; and I am sure there would be alot of interest from participants,spectators,sponsors
and the media.A mass start of a bunch of big vees and cats heading out to the open ocean to do battle would really be something to see.I remember watching over twenty open class boats hit the starting line at the 1980 Benihana Grand Prix.I am sure you remember that too Charlie;wasn't that the first year of The Rums of Puerto Rico sponsorship of your team?I remember Tom Gentrys Cigarette "American Eagle"crashing in an early morning test on race day right off the beach!!!!!!Bill Elswick's "Long Shot"Cigarette ended up winning the race that was made up of over EIGHTY BOATS in FIVE CLASSES!

Yes, you are correct. That was a good year for racing...just before the cats took over for good.

When I hear the concern about keeping the racing close to shore now, I remember the old Benihana races that had to be held on a Wednesday, because there were so many people...400,000 was a number I remember...maybe Steve can help here.

We had big numbers of spectators, and no one seemed to care that the race went out of sight for a while. The older races went over to Long Island and back to Jersey.

Here are a couple of shots of the Rums of Puerto Rico team from 1980. Left to right is:
Willy Myers, former winner of the Bahamas 500, as navigator....
Charlie McCarthy, Owner - Driver
David Greaves as throttleman. David was also with Bill Gazell in prior years.

CBR 12-07-2005 09:43 AM

Neat photos and info. Wow, I had no idea the old races were that popular! I will be happy if the 2006 event simply takes place, hopefully to be bigger and better in years to follow.

lucky strike 12-07-2005 08:04 PM

Hey Charlie
Dave Greaves was always at the top of his game. I"ve raced with him a few times. His brother Peter navigated for me in the 1st Plymouth 160.

Steve