Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What's the main benefit of a center tab on a cat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/117913-whats-main-benefit-center-tab-cat.html)

Harper220 12-06-2005 09:34 PM

Re: What's the main benefit of a center tab on a cat?

I pretty much get the logistics of it now. I don't think I would gain any speed, but would sure benefit at LOTO with the rough water conditions.

Still curious about raising the x-dimension and if that would gain me anything? It's either going to be raise the x dim or add hp? Still looking for 6-8 mph... Any ideas or suggestions? I do appreciate everybody's help. Thanks

Sean H 12-06-2005 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Harper220
I pretty much get the logistics of it now. I don't think I would gain any speed, but would sure benefit at LOTO with the rough water conditions.

Still curious about raising the x-dimension and if that would gain me anything? It's either going to be raise the x dim or add hp? Still looking for 6-8 mph... Any ideas or suggestions? I do appreciate everybody's help. Thanks

i think some of eliminators boats lately have had really high x dim and big props, which harms planing and acceleration, but gives you the big gps number you are looking for... what is the 6-8 worth to you? if you don't want to sacrifice low speed qualities, then i would add the HP....

audacity 12-06-2005 09:38 PM

to have compression you have a delta in flow. anything to create such a delta will have a direct impact (top or bottom)....this equates to lift.

never seen one design to drag in the water like a trim tab...often the are made from starboard.

Sean H 12-06-2005 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by audacity
to have compression you have a delta in flow. anything to create such a delta will have a direct impact (top or bottom)....this equates to lift.

never seen one design to drag in the water like a trim tab...often the are made from starboard.

the latest designs give the tab some flexibility so they don't break in the rough as fast (the tab or the boat).... polypropelene is what MTI uses...

the smaller cats like eliminators are using trim tabs or small tabs from dana marine, they don't seal the tunnel and are mainly used for planing and rough water....(these tunnels aren't as deep as a true cat and the center pod and tab hit the water more often....)

Harper220 12-06-2005 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Sean H
i think some of eliminators boats lately have had really high x dim and big props, which harms planing and acceleration, but gives you the big gps number you are looking for... what is the 6-8 worth to you? if you don't want to sacrifice low speed qualities, then i would add the HP....

How much more hp per motor would get me 6-8? I have 496 ho's... Would tube headers do it?

I know planing would suffer a bit, but I think mid-range would be faster in addition to top end. I run 5 blades this should help the planing issue.

apache21 12-06-2005 09:58 PM

You don't need the tab in rough water. It can cause you to trip

apache21 12-06-2005 10:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the only type of tab i would have

rbtnt 12-06-2005 10:42 PM

On the 28TD, we've seen about 1 mph per 15 - 20hp per engine. The short drives might help, it just depends on the X that Eliminator used the day your drives were mounted.

LIOPA 12-07-2005 09:03 AM

Some of the centerpod boats use 2 tabs as well.....one smaller tab behind each of the larger outside sponsons. I am not sure how effective they are but have seen several center pod cats with that set up as well.

Sean H 12-07-2005 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by LIOPA
Some of the centerpod boats use 2 tabs as well.....one smaller tab behind each of the larger outside sponsons. I am not sure how effective they are but have seen several center pod cats with that set up as well.

those would be trim tabs.. :D the same idea with them as a vee...