Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Man to face charges in alcohol-related boating accident (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/118029-man-face-charges-alcohol-related-boating-accident.html)

Downtown42 12-12-2005 06:46 AM

Re: Man to face charges in alcohol-related boating accident

yes. :mad:

gsmith9898 12-12-2005 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Exactly.

Here's some food for thought. So just take it as that.

Then there are those times while rafting up with your buddies for the day..... it's early in the day...... you know it will be a long time before you will be heading back in...... so a beer or 2 won't hurt....having a great time......SOoooo.......another beer it is..........before you know it, it's time to go......the beer has impaired your judgement......you think you are fine.

Disclaimer, none of that above pertains to any of us, because appareantly we are all perfect..... or just lucky. Who's got the balls here to admit they are in the lucky category? Anyone, anyone, anyone? :) A lot of pictures are posted here on OSO from us that show us all tied up in large groups on the lake, not on your dock to your house, but at a location that requires driving back to the dock. Are you all saying NONE of those boats have beer on them, or just your boat?

The death is unfortunate and no one here wants that to happen ever, to anyone. Everyone losses, both sides, all involved. Sad/bad situations.

I was wondering if this was a non drinking boating site. I always have a drink or two when I am out watching the game with my friends. When I go out to eat a nice dinner I have a couple of drinks before. I can't remember the last time I went out in my boat and NOT had a beer or two or three etc, etc... I do feel sorry for all involved. But like when I was kid or now for that matter, You play, you pay.

Big Block Billy 12-12-2005 10:28 AM

At 18 years of age the kid couldn't have had very much experience with driving a car. Also lacked experience in operation of a speedboat. Especially at nite. At 18 years old, also lacked drinking experience. Combining operating a speedboat, at nite, under the influence, and being inexperienced was a recipe for disaster ! Not that dwi / bwi is a good thing, but it was the whole situation. The kid lacked wisdom to do what he did.
He should be severly punished !
But the death penalty ? He's going to have this hanging over him for the rest of his life. People, like him and other inexperienced persons that trailer thier Bayliner to the water from inland , that only have been boating recently, that go out with no running lights, never went to a Coastguard boating skills and seamanship course, Etc. take alot of the fun of boating. You go out at night with no lights on a dark night, and get hit by a guy that's had a few drinks, it's automatically completely his fault ! B.S. There should be shared responsibility. Young people are in more accidents, thats why they pay more for insurance. Also boating at nite you are seven times as likely to be involved in an an accident. Basically his parents should have been stricter by taking away the boat priviliges when he got his dwi.

birdog 12-12-2005 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by gsmith9898
But like when I was kid or now for that matter, You play, you pay.

It just pisses me off when somebody else pays....With their life

NetGain 12-12-2005 02:50 PM

I was a freaking idiot at 18. And I was considered a good kid. No way my kids (5 teenagers) are doing what I did. I agree that parents today need a boot in the tail. I actually think there are kids out there looking for guidance and discipline, but the parents are just not up to the task.

No doubt the kid is wrong, and should pay for his crime. My thoughts are for the deceased's family. Take a look in your local papers and see what the sentence is for Vehicular Manslaughter. I doubt it's 15 years. Not that it shouldn't be, but i doubt it is. I'll bet it's less than 5 and when alcohol is involved it's still less than 10.

Thank God for 18 year olds thinking they are invincible. Average age of the US Soldier on D-Day 18. Average Age of the German Soldier 28. The 18 year olds kept marching to the shore, but after hours of bullets going by, the 28 year olds hit the hills.