Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Hair line cracks in 35 lightning windshield (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/118108-hair-line-cracks-35-lightning-windshield.html)

furnitureman 12-09-2005 11:24 AM

Hair line cracks in 35 lightning windshield

My 2001 35 lightning has developed hairline cracks in the windshield. (passengers side) .Anyone have experience with this problem

BLee 12-09-2005 11:27 AM

Re: Hair line cracks in 35 lightning windshield

Originally Posted by furnitureman
My 2001 35 lightning has developed hairline cracks in the windshield. (passengers side) .Anyone have experience with this problem

I'm sure PLENTY of people will chime in. :D :evilb:

CBR 12-09-2005 11:27 AM

No way, fountains don't have any problems! Just kidding, Common problem with all boats sadly. Might want to overlay the crack with some clear adhesive on both sides. Moisture getting in it and expanding with the sun will make it worse.

PatriYacht 12-09-2005 11:30 AM

Is it Plexiglas? Uv rays will cause Plexiglas to develop thousands of little hairline cracks. Looks like it's fogged from a distance.

US1 Fountain 12-09-2005 05:24 PM

That is typical of the Fountain windshields, crazing, especially the side panels.

Use of Windex or cleaners with amonia is 1 cause for it. Use only mild soap. Some think the heat build up while under the cover is another. Only way to rid them, is replace them. Then your good for a couple more yrs before it may start again. I replaced my side panels 2 yrs ago, so far still OK.

bouyhunter 12-09-2005 05:36 PM

Does Fountain put any type of anti-reflective coating on the panels??

It's a coating that is used to cut down on the glare - also commonly used on automotive parts. It consitst of "elements" evaporated onto the panel in a high vacuum. (I work in the industry - I know a little about it).
Nothing against Fountain, but it's a pretty expensive process, and if not done properly it would explain the "crazing". It's kinf of tricky to get these things "right".

US1 - did you replace with factory parts, or just replace the Plexi yourself??

US1 Fountain 12-09-2005 05:45 PM

Went the factory route this time as was unsure how the black tint was done along the bottom. Turns out the black on mine was just paint on the inside surface. Kept my old panels to use a patterns in case I need to replace them again, at which point I'll buy a full sheet and make them myself. I 'think' Fountain wanted a tad over $200/side. I forget exactly. They are acrylic.
No coating from Fountain. They still have the paper on them from the plastic factory. Just cut to size and edges buffed smooth.

itilldo 12-09-2005 06:41 PM

Instead of Plexi how about using Lexan (sp?) instead? Same stuff they use for stock car winshields?

Downtown42 12-09-2005 08:44 PM

try this guy...

Windshields: 800-554-7527 Brad Shields Formtec Plastics

bouyhunter 12-10-2005 05:45 AM

This thread has got me thinking...

Ever thought of a mirror coat to match your boat - kinda like sunglasses??
Any interest?