Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Inside Outerlimits (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/118209-inside-outerlimits.html)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 12-11-2005 06:14 AM

Inside Outerlimits

2 Attachment(s)
After all the comments from the people who were in Key West that got a glimpse of the new 47 ft Outerlimits Super Vee Unlimited Race Boat that left them all with dropped jaws in amazement, I felt I had to see for myself what they could have all possibly been talking about.
After an up close and personal inspection of the fine work of art, Outerlimits has really stepped it up once again, raising the bar for the other manufacturers of Super Vee to try and reach. The laminations of their hulls are second to none and probably in a tie with Skater. Skater is the only other manufacturer I have seen with such attention to detail in their laminations.
OL has achieved great strength to weight ratios with manufacturing their own composite panels in-house, utilizing great coring techniques and vacuum bagging their expoxy hulls
as well as taking it one step further with building an oven over 50 feet in length for the final step in their lamination schedule.
Once the complete lamination is in place, the mold is then moved into the oven where the hull is then baked.

Just by taking a look around this factory, one thing comes to mind, "This isn't a mass production shop!"
Each boat is a hand crafted custom piece of art that not only will be a show piece, but can take the abuse of any offshore conditions.

I have added photos to www.SharkeyMarine.com and they can be found on the page Boat Building.

I will post a few here, but due to the time consumption photo reduction takes, I will leave the rest over on my site.

Note:

A lot of the contents of this thread have been copied and posted without the
acknowledge of many of the original owners of the materials. It is not my
intention to breach any infringement or copyright laws, however it has been
an impossible task to track down the original owners of each photo to ask for their permission to be added to this thread. If anything
published within this thread is owned by you, please private message me so that I may provide your images with the proper credits.

Thank you for your understanding.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 12-11-2005 06:17 AM

Re: Inside Outerlimits

2 Attachment(s)
With some controversy over a rumour in Key West about the 47's canopy not meeting requirements, that was just what it was, a rumour.
Have a look for yourself. I believe this not only meets the requirements but probably exceeds them as well!

SHARKEY-IMAGES 12-11-2005 06:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 12-11-2005 06:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 12-11-2005 06:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 12-11-2005 06:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 12-11-2005 06:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
These next sequence of photos will show the molded in carrbon fiber roll bar. The photos follow from the floor of the starboard side and pan up over the top of the canopy back down on the port side.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 12-11-2005 06:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 12-11-2005 06:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Take note, this is an enclosed capsule. A hull within a hull so to speak. The cockpit is surrounded by walls of carbon fiber and sealing it off from the surrounding perimeter of the boat.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 12-11-2005 06:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The lid itself appeared to about 1 inch thick as well.