Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Miami Vice Movie; and its affect on the 2006 boating season; and beyond. >

Miami Vice Movie; and its affect on the 2006 boating season; and beyond.

Notices

Miami Vice Movie; and its affect on the 2006 boating season; and beyond.

Old 12-13-2005, 11:04 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Miami Vice Movie; and its affect on the 2006 boating season; and beyond.

I just viewed the Bacardi trailer for the movie, and I will admit that the movie looks sick and I can't wait.

( http://www.bacardilive.com ; enter your birthdate, and click on the movie banner. High speed internet friendly only.)

Some thoughts come to mind:

First, it will probably be a good year to be in boat sales. The thrill from the movie is bound to sell more than a few boats next season.

Second, its going to put a lot of inexperienced drivers behind the wheel of a lot of 70mph+; 7000-10000lbs+ speeding bullets out on the water with no brakes. Watch your ass out there. Folks are going to be out there performing what they think they can do based on seeing seasoned professionals making a film. Cap that off with the fact the majority will be drinking alcohol at the same time.

Third, there are going to be a quite a few accidents involving the aforementioned crowd of new boaters. Prepare for your 2007 season insurance premiums to be UGLY. If you think we have an issue now in certain areas with poor perception of the performance boat crowd, wait until next year. Speed limits and noise limits are going to be WORSE next year; and every one of us is going to be viewed as 'some yahoo who bought his boat after seeing a movie.'

Yes, I might be overexaggerating a few points, but not by much. I can't wait for the exposure the movie will bring to our sport/passion, but beware the non-favorable exposure as well.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:20 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Re: Miami Vice Movie; and its affect on the 2006 boating season; and beyond.

Thanks for ANOTHER public service announcement!!!

Now, I'm on my way out to tow my grossly overweight boat with an inadaquate tow vehicle that has no rear airbags, transom straps or weight distributing hitch!!!!
Old 12-13-2005, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Miami Vice Movie; and its affect on the 2006 boating season; and beyond.

I just watched the trailer, they showed guns, chics, jets, helo and full race cats, I really don't think that our insurance is going to go through the roof because of a movie????
Brian you live in DC, I just heard on DC 101 (morning show) that the movie was over budget and it wasn't that good, that being to the general public, but the movie to us, as in OSO will think it is the cats a$$ since it is the sport we all love.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:38 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I just viewed the Bacardi trailer for the movie, and I will admit that the movie looks sick and I can't wait.

( http://www.bacardilive.com ; enter your birthdate, and click on the movie banner. High speed internet friendly only.)

Some thoughts come to mind:

First, it will probably be a good year to be in boat sales. The thrill from the movie is bound to sell more than a few boats next season.

Second, its going to put a lot of inexperienced drivers behind the wheel of a lot of 70mph+; 7000-10000lbs+ speeding bullets out on the water with no brakes. Watch your ass out there. Folks are going to be out there performing what they think they can do based on seeing seasoned professionals making a film. Cap that off with the fact the majority will be drinking alcohol at the same time.

Third, there are going to be a quite a few accidents involving the aforementioned crowd of new boaters. Prepare for your 2007 season insurance premiums to be UGLY. If you think we have an issue now in certain areas with poor perception of the performance boat crowd, wait until next year. Speed limits and noise limits are going to be WORSE next year; and every one of us is going to be viewed as 'some yahoo who bought his boat after seeing a movie.'

Yes, I might be overexaggerating a few points, but not by much. I can't wait for the exposure the movie will bring to our sport/passion, but beware the non-favorable exposure as well.
OK, I was just kidding with my first post

I went and watched the trailer and it didn't make me want to buy a boat. However, it did make me want to go to MIAMI!!!!!

Old 12-13-2005, 11:46 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Craig, I expect no less.

Good point Spicy. I think its going to be a cascading effect. They do have some 36 Apaches in the movie as well. I think more than a few folks are going to look into and buy a performance boat after getting amped up after seeing the movie. Again, these are the folks I worry about; just like the brand new 42 Fountain in the Carolinas hanging from a tree. I don't think that insurance rates are going to double, nor do I expect insurance claims to double, but I think there will be a jump. And while I am not blaming a movie for such; I think there will be an effect from some of these folks who are going to jump into boats when they realize they might can afford something as such; but are not properly experienced in operation of the craft.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just hope it sparks interest into people to check out offshore racing a little more, maybe help the sport grow back to the days of it being aired on big time network telivision stations with big corporat sponcers
Old 12-13-2005, 12:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by magnum27
I just hope it sparks interest into people to check out offshore racing a little more, maybe help the sport grow back to the days of it being aired on big time network telivision stations with big corporat sponcers
Excellent point, I would like too see that as well....
Old 12-13-2005, 12:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Spicy
I just watched the trailer, they showed guns, chics, jets, helo and full race cats, I really don't think that our insurance is going to go through the roof because of a movie????
Brian you live in DC, I just heard on DC 101 (morning show) that the movie was over budget and it wasn't that good, that being to the general public, but the movie to us, as in OSO will think it is the cats a$$ since it is the sport we all love.
lol, i can see it now, the south river drug lords, running around shootin at each other
Old 12-13-2005, 12:03 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although the show gave sport boating a huge boost, we were getting a 1 hour dose weekly for four years, coupled with celebs racing them on ESPN. Now it will be 90 minutes with maybe 30 minutes around the boats. That, and a perception that this is another in a long line of TV shows made into movies, will not make this thing a cultural phenomenon like the show was. It will prbably help DVD sales of the show though
Old 12-13-2005, 12:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
lol, i can see it now, the south river drug lords, running around shootin at each other
Don't forget about the leer jets and helo's coming out of Lee Airport.........

Ted, I'll see you at Blockbuster..

Quick Reply: Miami Vice Movie; and its affect on the 2006 boating season; and beyond.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.