Notices

Actual Boat Questions !!!

Old 01-30-2002, 03:43 PM
packinair

she has accomidations, she is sleeping on the oposite side of me that you are He doesn't get to put the suntan lotion on all the women does he?

Old 01-30-2002, 03:48 PM
Boat Girl

Make mine an apple martini...please

Old 01-30-2002, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So sorry Eric, we have really drug this thread off it's original topic, haven't we?

Scott, You'll have to work that out with Lutz.

BoatGirl, have yu ever had a pineapple martini? NUUUUUMMMMY!!!
Old 01-30-2002, 04:25 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts
Back to the topic at hand....
Eric i think Mercruiser actually did try and make a shiftable trans for a boat. I'm not sure how well it worked though. Obviously not to good if its not out there now! I know that some race boats use shifting trannies but then again theres also alot of prop guessing involved in something like this.
The only other problems i see with a shifting trans is if its an automatic, how does it know when to shift? and when slowing down how about down shifting?
And the other problem i see with it is if it was a manual type of shifting....are you gonna teach everyone who drives the boat how to work it everytime you go out? I can see it being a pain in the a$$. Just my thoughts on it...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-30-2002, 07:03 PM
jokerswild

Eric-
Want a good boatin book- get Chapman Piloting-(seamanship and boat handling). It has alot of info on rules of the road to proper maintanence to emergencey situations etc. A must-have boat book.

Old 01-30-2002, 07:17 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I know Boat Girl really is a girl!!

packinair=cabana boy?? LOL!!!!

Eric, where do you do your boating?? Next time you're out, watch for a stepped hull boat running near a non-step. The step hull will ride flatter, more bow down, yet go faster with the same hp (in most cases).
Old 01-30-2002, 07:38 PM
Registered

I believe the UIM Class I boats run shiftable transmissions. They must be beefy to withstand the Lambourghini engines.

Mike
Old 01-30-2002, 07:52 PM
Registered

Eric as for the transmission, they also did try variable pitch props and worked pretty well on some applications, but cost was the deterent, Mercury stopped production on those a couple of years back. Some other companies I believe still offer them if I am not mistaken.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:07 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Eric, the best place to start is to get a subscription to Powerboat magazine. Or you can ask us questions and put up with the abuse that comes with the answers.
http://www.powerboatmag.com/
Old 01-30-2002, 08:08 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

PS. I had the two speed trannys from B&M and they constantly broke. That means twice before we switched to Hubers. Never another trans problem.

Quick Reply: Actual Boat Questions !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.