Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   If the GPS says 85mph, how fast am I going? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/118541-if-gps-says-85mph-how-fast-am-i-going.html)

ratman 12-16-2005 01:40 PM

Re: If the GPS says 85mph, how fast am I going?

you are all wrong! if his gps says 85 he's going over 200, just check the top speed poll :D

McGary911 12-16-2005 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Troutly
See.....Nort's question was a trick question.....because he says it is GPS speed, then his speed over ground is 85 MPH, no matter how strong the current or which way he is going.

So Nort's boat can do 85 on GPS.......just need to go with a 35mph current :D

WAIT.........We're forgetting something. What if he has a 35mph current, and SPEEDWAX? :eek: Cant forget to factor that in, can we?

Edward R. Cozzi 12-16-2005 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by McGary911
So Nort's boat can do 85 on GPS.......just need to go with a 35mph current :D

WAIT.........We're forgetting something. What if he has a 35mph current, and SPEEDWAX? :eek: Cant forget to factor that in, can we?

Lildeuce's bottom wax messes up the whole equation. I never factored it in, so disregard all my previous posts.

RollWithIt 12-16-2005 03:28 PM

The other factor that was mentioned earlier that could have a definate effect is wind. Now, are we talking into the wind or with. If there is wind. Is it natural or man made. If the wind is man made, was the man facing forward or towards the stern. cause if he was facing the stern, this could have a detrimental effect on speed. Not to mention a foul odor that could be smelled by the driver. :D:D:D

US1 Fountain 12-16-2005 03:29 PM

Must be the same GPS dropped from a plane. That one reads too high too!

US1 Fountain 12-16-2005 03:31 PM

If your G/F says you are good looking, are you really? :evilb:

Steve 1 12-16-2005 04:21 PM

Depends if the "D" cups are standing on the same side of the boat as the GPS antenna!!

CAP071 12-16-2005 04:40 PM

D cups are nice :evilb:

OldSchool 12-16-2005 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Troutly
Hey!!! We all know Norty now has Whipples on his 500's. That ol' tub will do an easy 85 MPH.....just not with Norty driving!! :p

What's a Whipple?????

:D :evilb: :drink: :evilb:

Harper220 12-16-2005 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sean H
how does GPS know your going 6 if your not moving?

The GPS wouldn't know this, it would read O mph... :D

If someone was standing on the bank of the river shooting you with a radar, I guarantee you would be faster going down river than up. It's the same principal with GPS.

When I'm just floating down river with the boat off the GPS will read at least 4 mph. The reason it doesn't read 6 mph is that the water is travelling a little faster that the boat.