Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   My New SL 44 ( 44 ft ) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/118635-my-new-sl-44-44-ft.html)

CFD5 01-06-2006 04:24 PM

Re: My New SL 44 ( 44 ft )

I used to be in the houseboat biz. We built all aluminum hull houseboats up to 110+ feet. If done correctly it will not flex much. We used to take our showroom boats and put them on stands at all 4 corners, none in the middle just to show that the boat did not flex/bow in the middle. (I'm talking 100 foot flatbottom houseboats with no bow in the middle) We did a honeycomb type "stringer" system that worked very well. Electrolysis problems are a thing of the past if taken care of properly.
Excellent job Rockit man! I think it will be sweet and good luck with it.

Jassman 01-06-2006 06:00 PM

Rockit Man, anymore pics.

Strip Poker 388 01-06-2006 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by CFD5
I used to be in the houseboat biz. We built all aluminum hull houseboats up to 110+ feet. If done correctly it will not flex much. We used to take our showroom boats and put them on stands at all 4 corners, none in the middle just to show that the boat did not flex/bow in the middle. (I'm talking 100 foot flatbottom houseboats with no bow in the middle) We did a honeycomb type "stringer" system that worked very well. Electrolysis problems are a thing of the past if taken care of properly.

Thats what I would of thought was in this boat .Honeycomb stingers,bulk heads etc???

Isnt that how a airplane is made?

Wayne good luck .I like it :drink:

Rob

Strip Poker 388 01-06-2006 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by CFD5

Thats what I would of thought was in this boat .Honeycomb stingers,bulk heads etc???

Isn't that how a airplane is made?

Wayne good luck .I like it :drink:

Rob

CFD5 01-06-2006 08:55 PM

Not sure about the airplane system but I know the one we used worked very well. Yes it made some noise in rough water, but that was a 100' X 20' flatbottom houseboat. I would feel completely comfortable in this boat.

Magic Medicine 01-06-2006 09:45 PM

I think this project is inspriational. It is waycool outside of the box thinking. Anyone who is bashing your boat is jealous and probably wishes they had the balls to taken on such a project. Best of luck.

rockit man 01-18-2006 07:32 PM

Thanks for all the good words,its almost ready to take to the paint booth to be sealed ,should have it outside next week and can then get some good pics to post. We are on a fast track now as the welding is complete ,hope to be water testing in 5-6 weeks. Motors go to the dyno in about 10 days.

Thanks again Wayne aka ROCKIT MAN

Steamin Rice 01-19-2006 10:58 AM

Post new pics once you get them... You'll have to bring that thing to So Cal once you get it all together. :drink:

Shore Thing 01-19-2006 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by rockit man
Thanks for all the good words,its almost ready to take to the paint booth to be sealed ,should have it outside next week and can then get some good pics to post. We are on a fast track now as the welding is complete ,hope to be water testing in 5-6 weeks. Motors go to the dyno in about 10 days.

Awesome. Can't wait to see what it looks like.

Roger 1 01-19-2006 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by rockit man

PAINT? :eek: