Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cape Coral / Ft Meyers, FL New Years Day Fun Run - 2006 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/118896-cape-coral-ft-meyers-fl-new-years-day-fun-run-2006-a.html)

Bobthebuilder 12-21-2005 06:44 PM

Cape Coral / Ft Meyers, FL New Years Day Fun Run - 2006

As I watched Ryan Beckley put together his fun run out of Sarasota it has inspired me to do the same for interested offshore boaters in the Cape Coral / Ft Meyers area. After making some calls today I am satisfied there is support for a New Years Day fun run in this area too.
The plan is to meet at the Cape Coral Yacht Club with a departure at 11:00 am. There seems to be agreement that an ideal spot for lunch would be Burnt Store on Charlotte Harbor. I just want to share a thought or two on the run then would like to throw it open to any suggestions others might have to add to our day. One idea is , weather permitting, to head first to San Carlos Bay, then around the south end of Sanibel Island and head north offshore to Boca Grande Pass where we will enter Charlotte Harbor. After lunch the route south for something different could be down the Intra Coastal Waterway and if time permits make a second stop possibly at Tween Waters or ? [ suggestions please ]
This fun run is open to everyone so please feel free to join us.
Bob Barnhart AKA Bobthebuilder :D

Bobthebuilder 12-21-2005 06:50 PM

Re: Cape Coral / Ft Meyers, FL New Years Day Fun Run - 2006

Confirmed boats at this time :

Bob Barnhart - PREDATOR, 50ft Nor Tech V
Larry Jones - MASQUERADE, 50ft Nor Tech V
Dennis Liebman - The Menace, 40 ft Skater
Terry Sobo - next ex 43 ? ha 36ft Nor Tech cat
Jay Forbes - 43ft Nor Tech V
Regeane Doucette 45 ft Sonic

DanB 12-21-2005 06:52 PM

Thats about the same route as the old bravo shop poker run....depending on weather I may want to do this. Easier then towing to Sarasota. Keep us updated

Quite a list of boats...

Bobthebuilder 12-21-2005 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by DanB
Thats about the same route as the old bravo shop poker run....depending on weather I may want to do this. Easier then towing to Sarasota. Keep us updated

Quite a list of boats...

Hello Dan,

I had wanted to go up and join the Sarasota group as well but had some logistical problems with getting up there after New Years Eve in Cape Coral. Ryan has done a great job putting their run together and I did not want our run to take any boats away from them. I am sure that there are enuff boats on the west coast that both runs will be a huge success so feel free to join us if that is what you decide. :D

Ryan Beckley 12-21-2005 07:27 PM

Heck with your list of boats you'ld be here in an hour by water!

Bobthebuilder 12-21-2005 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley

Hello Ryan,

I know your route is pretty well decided but think about this.
Have your group head south and meet us at Burnt Store !! Wouldn't that be neat. I understand why that may not be possible tho. A lot of offshore exposure and too long and slow by Intra Coastal. If you only knew the weather would co - operate that would be great. Have we met possibly at the Sarasota Poker Run ?? I do it every spring and fall.
And good luck with your run. We don't even have sponsors or prizes!! :D
Bob

The Menace 12-21-2005 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Hello Ryan,

We don't even have sponsors or prizes!! :D
Bob

Au contraire mon ami. The prize is a great day of relaxing and boating with firends!

NASTY HABIT 12-21-2005 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley

exactly what I was thinking , what's the ole saying ? "Speed Freaks Think Alike"

DanB 12-22-2005 06:52 AM

Meeting up half way would be a good idea. Maybe as an alternative plan?

The Menace 12-22-2005 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by DanB
Meeting up half way would be a good idea. Maybe as an alternative plan?

Sarasota to Burnt Store is the Lion's share of half. I know the intercoastal would add an hour to your trip. If I remember correctly (because sometimes I do forget) there are no "No Wake" areas from Ft Myers north to Burnt Store unless they recently made some additions.