Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   42 Fountain 1050's Vs. 39 O.L. 525's (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/118959-42-fountain-1050s-vs-39-o-l-525s.html)

US1 Fountain 12-25-2005 11:14 AM

Re: 42 Fountain 1050's Vs. 39 O.L. 525's

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
If you have a Timex or a Rolex they both do the same thing $hit the Timex keeps better time, but I rather have the Rolex.Because it's nicer holds up better and holds it's value.

No why would you want an expensive watch that doesn't do what is it's only purpose in life to do very well....keep time? ;)

For the money they cost, dang things should have an internal atomic clock. But sure are purty.

(US1 sidestepping the OL/Fountain debate)

LapseofReason 12-25-2005 11:19 AM

Thats why I have a Timex for work and a Tag for dress, they both keep good time. I was just using Rolex to make my point. It seems like most Fountain owners and Used car salesmen have a Rolex. :drink:

nolimits 12-25-2005 11:22 AM

My big heavy pig Nortech will run almost 100 with the gen & a/c on in any water 6 feet and under. Unless you got 2000 hp in your 42 my 50 will be walking past you too, all 21000#'s of her, and she handles pretty good for a big boat. I can drive just fine thank you, I have many race wins in many forms of racing. Yes I am tall but I did smoke 2 packs a day for 10 years :D .
I too think spending a mil. on a boat is stupid that is why I always buy used, I look at a ton of used boats a year and 9 times out of ten OL's show like new and the Fountains and other mass produced boats don't hold up.

42 you say you are in your 9th year in a Fountain why not try something new and different you only live once.You are dogging me about selling and getting a 400SS, if you read the whole post you know I said my next boat would be another fast boat a 42 OL or 43 Nortech, Most likely a OL because I have all ready have a Nortech. I have only been buying boats for 11 years and I'm on my 10th different brand.

Let me ask the Fountain guy's one thing, do you think if Reggie thought his boat's( not the record setting boats, the one's he churns out everyday and ships to the dealers) were as nice and built as good as the OL he would charge the same as them, or is he not that smart.

Like it's been said many times OL are custom builds and Fountains are not If all you care about is how many race wins and the Kilo speed go buy a Fountain, if you want to take your friends and family out on the nicest most comfortable boat that wont fall apart in front of you go buy a pricey custom.

It's the same with If you have a Timex or a Rolex they both do the same thing $hit the Timex keeps better time, but I rather have the Rolex.Because it's nicer holds up better and holds it's value.

Some good points, but based on your prefference. Reggie is doing a heck of a good job getting his boats out to the masses. OL is making boats a few at a time and charging like no one's bussiness for them. Low supply increases demand as long as the OL fan club runs around shouting the "it's gold" message. The fact remains that there are some very nice boats out there that are put together very well being sold for a more fair price that provide the same great time. I also was not aware that my Fountain was going to fall apart in front of me. My 29 didn't, I'll let you know about the 38. Seems to me that kind of message is dumb and part of the whole OL 7 step program. If one would step back and look, most of the OL message is about bashing Fountains. You might also notice that most Fountain owners are proud of their rides and see no need to bash OL. I mean it goes on, but usually in reaction to the OL message of "Bash the other boats to feel better about all that money I lost." Step 2. :evilb:

By the way, my Rolex keeps perfect time and I no longer own a Timex. Every few years you have to get the Rolex tuned at a Rolex dealer. Then it will work as well as the Timex.

AIR TIME 12-25-2005 11:38 AM

OL one nice ride

LapseofReason 12-25-2005 11:51 AM

The Fountain guy's bashing OL is by saying they are not worth the money.
When I feel they are worth what the used ones are selling for. I feel the new ones are too much from any builder, let someone else take the big hit. Even if I had it to spend I don't think I would. A lot of the charge with some of the new OL's has to be the paint, witch would be the same on any boat. I have to guys I boat with that have Fountains and they both have just little things going wrong all the time. Now is it because they are light and fast? it sure seems so, the stuff that breaks is stuff that is too flimsy or not mounted right. In 2 1/2 years I have only had one hatch latch break and one bilge pump switch in my Nortech a it's a 98.

What put the bad taste in my mouth about Fountain was back in 98, I put 25k down on a new 32 Fever. I had a list of about 5-7 things on the boat that needed to be fixed some cabin lights didn't work the counter had a crack in it. The cabin doors were broken, they said they would replace them but they would just break again :rolleyes: . But what got me was I wanted the seat moved back a few inches and the throttles on the right, I was will to pay for the throttles. They told me that they wouldn't do the seat or throttles because Reggie builds them the way HE wants them.

US1 Fountain 12-25-2005 12:07 PM

I haven't had any issues with my 32 to speak of. As far as moving the set back, really nothing to it other than having to modify the side panels to accomodate, but that would have really made the leg space in back tight. Being it was your money to make the changes, Fountain should have done as you wanted in my opinion. It is a squeeze between the steering wheel and seat as it is, and I'm by no means a big guy. Had a 27 for a few yrs before the current 32 (heading into 4th season now) Liked both boats very well, no complaints. Next boat will be another brand just because ready for a change. Lets face it, the 27 thru the 42 are the same boat, cockpit and cabin for the most part. So a larger Fountain wouldn't be making the change I would like for the more $$$$ it would take to step up.

Downtown42 12-25-2005 01:24 PM

What put the bad taste in my mouth about Fountain was back in 98, I put 25k down on a new 32 Fever.

They told me that they wouldn't do the seat or throttles because Reggie builds them the way HE wants them.

I KNEW THERE WAS A REASON!!!!!!! :evilb: :evilb: :D :chick: :drink:

Fountain guys here don't seem to start much with any negative crap. We'll jump in when OL guys rip on Fountain cause they're still pisssed about the world record deal Fountain owns.

What is interesting is most bashing Fountain don't even own an OL!! That includes DJD, Animal Home, who did but don't own one anymore. Why is that if you're so dedicated to Fiore's wealth chest. I recall Lapse looking for 42 OL before you got the 50 ftr...why not get one if they are so wonderful?

Practice what you preach or shut up. :p
Ok maybe I'm too harsh, this is a free country. :frog:

Kind of like a stock broker telling you to "buy this now, hurry hurry hurry"...and then the dufus ain't got none himself.

OSO classifieds list 125 Fountains for sale. They build 500/yr.

OSO classifieds list 26 Outer-dones for sale. They build 20/yr. Whats wrong with this picture?????

It's all FUN. That's why we are here. Merry Christmas to all.

LapseofReason 12-25-2005 03:36 PM

Boat trader online, more boats there for sale then here. 560 Fountain's 24 OL's. And we both know there are 100's more Fountains that are not listed for sale and maybe 20 or so more OL's just because there isnt that many out there.

You are right I don't have an OL, the only reason, I havent found one that is better than what I have for what I can aford. But I do have the other top custom boat builders boat, that I feel has some points better than OL.

I don't own the Washigton Redskins either but I will agrue that they are and have always been a better team then the Cowgirls all day long. :D

SCRAPMAN1 12-25-2005 03:45 PM

Could Someone Please Educate Me As To What The Differences Are Between Fountains "secret" Raceboat Mold And The Production One? Also Why Does Fountain Only Use His Best Mold For Raceboats And Not For Every Day Boats That He Is Trying To Impress Customers With? Thanks In Advance For Your Help.

LapseofReason 12-25-2005 03:50 PM

He dosn't sell a 40 foot pleasure boat that I know of.