Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Tres Martin boating Class (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/119009-tres-martin-boating-class.html)

itilldo 12-24-2005 05:00 AM

Tres Martin boating Class

Has anyone taken the Tres Martin boating class, if so was it worth it? I'm not new to the boating world but my new boat is little different than what I was used to driving and I was hoping maybe this class would help me. All comments are appreciated.

ratman 12-24-2005 06:58 AM

Re: Tres Martin boating Class

its a lot of jack for the class, just have top banana run your boat with you for a day like i did, he's been there and done that all thru the 70's and 80's. don taught him and he'l share his knowledge with you as he did me. :D

WildWarrior 12-24-2005 07:11 AM

I took Tres class back in Oct and it was well worth the time.
I started boating on the Hudson river with my parents in the late 60s and have many many boating hrs under my belt.
It's so much more than getting from point A to point B, it's how most of us get there.
This class not only taught me how my deep v and my cat hull are really reacting under the water at speed , how to set up for turns and to run our boat's a little tighter," less trim , more tab" keeping a keen focus on the horizon and much more. But also gave me a mental check list which right out of the box, has made me a much safer pilot.
I believe that most any level of performance boater will gain from Tres class, thumbs up in my book!

cig1988 12-24-2005 07:21 AM

Tres and Jacky a class act. Never heard anything bad, only positive. Well worth the beans to do it.

bcschoe 12-24-2005 08:06 AM

Tres’s course is outstanding and anyone boater regardless of background and experience will greatly benefit. Tres is the only one who offers a course which demonstrates operating characteristics of boat types and how to run them safely. The list of benefits and value of the class goes on and on. Go take the class, have fun in a great setting, and learn from a real professional.

Brad Schoenwald

itilldo,
If you have any specific ?'s or would like to talk more about my expierience with the class, feel free to call me anytime 954.560.9080

Andy0331 12-24-2005 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by ratman
its a lot of jack for the class, just have top banana run your boat with you for a day like i did, he's been there and done that all thru the 70's and 80's. don taught him and he'l share his knowledge with you as he did me. :D

It's a good chunk of change, but not out of line in the performance boating world. As far as learning from anyone; maybe, maybe not. The focus of Tres class is for step bottom V's and cats. Conventional V's are far more forgiving than the other two. There are certainly others out there who can teach, but very few who can teach both.

In all honesty, day one of the class is like trying to drink from a firehose; tons of information: hydrodynamics, turns, crossing wakes, general safety, etc. Everything is explained so you understand the "why" behind it, not just "do it this way".

One final note, not to disparage any other racers, etc., but all because they have the skills to do it, that doesn't mean they can effectively teach it. Tres can teach.

Edward R. Cozzi 12-24-2005 10:45 AM

I have known Tres Martin for many years and I have watched him evolve into one of the most knowledgable people in our industry. I trust his judgement and have found his opinions to be accurate and honest.

If you think his class is expensive, just remember: "You get what you pay for.".

If it keeps you from doing something fatal just once, THEN tell me how much it's worth.

Downtown42 12-24-2005 11:03 AM

about 2500.?

Andy0331 12-24-2005 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Downtown42
about 2500.?

Yep, that's what I paid.

stecz20 12-24-2005 11:37 AM

im glad i took the coarse... it was worth the money, and with the insurance savings over the years it will pay it self off... class was well done...