Notices

Boat Discussion

Old 12-25-2005, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat Discussion

Happy Holidays,

I was hoping to hear from owners who have performance boats in the 28-29 foot range. Of particular what they like and don't like about their boats. I am looking to upgrade from a 25' bowrider to a performance boat. It will be used in Eastern North Carolina between Wilmington and Morehead City mostly on the intercostals waterways. I have been researching various brands and want a fast, reliable, low maintenance boat that will be kept in dry storage when not in use.

Thanks in advance.
Piglet
Old 12-25-2005, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Boat Discussion

New or Used?

Will you be overnighting?

How fast do you want to go.

The more specific you can be, the more guys can chime in with ideas for you.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:12 PM
Registered

I suggest that you ride is several different boats manufacturers and eng set ups (single, twins, 400 hp - ???)
and lengths of boats. One thing to remember is that the bigger the boat the better the ride. I wish my wife and I would have taken a few more test rides before we bought. We had a 24 ft Seebold Eagle BR and rode in a 27 single and 32 w twins and we settled with a 29 single. We both have hind sight now and wished we would have ridden in the 35 and 38 to have the full scale in the brand we bought. We probably would have bought the 38 in the first place. It is a fun thing to do, shop for a new boat!! Good Luck in what ever you buy.

PS
If you’re not sure of something about the boat ask it here because there are a lot of knowledgeable people here that can steer you right.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by itilldo
I suggest that you ride is several different boats manufacturers and eng set ups (single, twins, 400 hp - ???)
and lengths of boats. One thing to remember is that the bigger the boat the better the ride. I wish my wife and I would have taken a few more test rides before we bought. We had a 24 ft Seebold Eagle BR and rode in a 27 single and 32 w twins and we settled with a 29 single. We both have hind sight now and wished we would have ridden in the 35 and 38 to have the full scale in the brand we bought. We probably would have bought the 38 in the first place. It is a fun thing to do, shop for a new boat!! Good Luck in what ever you buy.

PS
If you’re not sure of something about the boat ask it here because there are a lot of knowledgeable people here that can steer you right.

I too wish I had waited til I got what I realy wanted.I bought 27 fountain, 4 months later I bought a 38, I would get the bigest boat you can handle.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:54 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by piglet
want a fast, reliable, low maintenance boat

Piglet
Had to laugh about this one.....pick 2 of the above and it won't possess the third.
Budget, overnighting, water conditions all play a part in your requests. A buddy is thinking of selling a 2004 29 Fountain with a 525 its bravo that runs 80 under warranty, but it isn't cheap! Sounds like you may want to stick with a single engine.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a 28 Sunsation single. LOVED it and wish I never sold it. I have a bigger cruiser now up for sale so i can get back into speed again
Old 12-26-2005, 02:09 PM
Registered

Reliable means that you want to stick with stock power. Stay away from special built or big blower motors. They just wont be as reliable.

Fast might be subjective to hullstlye, layup, size or difference of twin power vs single. Remember, twin motors means twice the maintenance and opperating costs.

The best thing to do is try to be as specifive as possible like Trick said. Narrow down your search. Then look at and test ride as many different boats that fit your bill. You'll be better educated then as to which boat you like the most.

Good luck.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the reply's,

I wanted to test the water with my first post and not get to deep in the weeds. However, here is what I am looking for.

2002-2005 new or used 28-29 foot preferred to be a single engine that will run 60-70 mph that is stock not modified. Needs to sleep two but most likely will not be used much as an overnighter. I plan to take a visit to the Fountain Factory (2 hours away) over the holiday period to have a look see.

Don't want to go bigger than 29 feet right now. I am Active Duty Military and getting bigger than 29 feet is not where I need to be right now.

The boat will be used 99% of the time on the intercostals waterways and anchored/ beached at our favorite beach.

I know the single engine sings Fountain, I just didn't want to discount other manufactures such as Donzi. I would like to get the "Toyota" of boats, fast and reliable. (Sorry if "Toyota" offended anyone)

Thanks again-
Piglet
Old 12-26-2005, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's everything you asked for except it is from the Lexus division of Toyota.

http://www.activethunderboats.com/28savage525.htm

2005, New, dealer show-boat at dealer cost.

Call me if there's an interest. Pat
Old 12-26-2005, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a standup boat, I'd do that Active Thunder. If you prefer sit down style like me, the Superboat Y2K. http://superboatonline.com/A30Y2K.html

Quick Reply: Boat Discussion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.