Notices

What ever happened to CHEROKEE BOATS?

Old 07-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WebmasterMIke
Speaking of awesome offshore racing boats my brother Pat Hyland owns the original showroom model with cubby cabin and live well (converted to ice chest/bar) The boat will do 85 easy on the rough Lake St Clair with it's deep v hull and twin blueprinted 454's. Great fun as the other 2 were used in offshopre racing before the Cherokee Boat company went uder and sold hull and designs to Apache.
I think you are talking about the Cherokee that was in Romeo, MI, not Fla
Old 07-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTERDAMITT
I was thinking the Apache might be a Cherokee mold.
Other way around I think.

Eric Froberg commented on here once before what the details were.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great boats!!
Old 11-27-2018, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cherokee Boats Inc of Romeo, MI & Koleva, MI

Cherokee Boats Inc of Romeo, MI & Koleva, MI. Started building boats for local Sheriff's then subsequently for Charter Boats Capt's. Was wildly popular Great Lakes Charter Boats solidly built boat from around 1984 to 2009. A few models were built in 25 & 27 foot, 28, 30, 31 foot also. Known as the "Brave", and later as the "Chief". I own a Cherokee Sport Fisherman (hull #28) built in 1987. I was told they built somewhere around 150 total. The owner was known as a Race Boat Builder prior to building the Sport Fisherman. He's Dead. One of the two factories burnt down. I'm not sure what or where others involved went. I'm actually gathering facts so don't quote me as 100% clear yet. If anyone is interested I started a Facebook Group called CHEROKEE BOAT FAN CLUB. I currently have about 10 members all of which are Charter Fishing Capt's from MI or OH, where the vast majority of these ended. I can't post url's as a junior member.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:26 PM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Anyone know where Eric Froberg is working? Good guy. Hope all is well.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:12 AM
Registered

Default Cherokee Boat Fan Club

Originally Posted by DrkShark
Cherokee Boats Inc of Romeo, MI and Kaleva, MI. Started building boats for local Sheriff's then subsequently for Charter Boats Capt's. Was wildly popular Great Lakes Charter Boats solidly built boat from around 1984 to 2009. A few models were built in 25 & 27 foot, 28, 30, 31 foot also. Known as the "Brave", and later as the "Chief". I own a Cherokee Sport Fisherman (hull #28) built in 1987. I was told they built somewhere around 150 total. The owner was known as a Race Boat Builder prior to building the Sport Fisherman. He's Dead. One of the two factories burnt down. I'm not sure what or where others involved went. I'm actually gathering facts so don't quote me as 100% clear yet. If anyone is interested I started a Facebook Group called CHEROKEE BOAT FAN CLUB. I currently have about 10 members all of which are Charter Fishing Capt's from MI or OH, where the vast majority of these ended. I can't post url's as a junior member.
My CHEROKEE BOAT FAN CLUB on Facebook now has over 50 members. I have charted a registry of Hull numbers, owner locations, boat names, etc. If anyone has a Romeo or Kaleva Cherokee built boat I'd like to hear from you and hope you look us up on Facebook!!
Old 03-23-2020, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 446 Likes on 244 Posts

there are quite a few cherokee charter boats in oswego
Old 03-24-2020, 08:30 AM
Registered

Hey Boostbros

I know of only 2 in Oswego, 1 in Clayton and 1 in Rochester. Although I took time to visit or reach out to them all, none have joined my fan club. Oh well.
Proteus Sport Fishing "Proteus"
TSI Charters "ARGO I"
Water Wolf Charters "Water Wolf"
Freedom Charters

If you know of other, please let me know.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 446 Likes on 244 Posts

waterwolf sold them the new proteus is a flat deck twin his old boat is now up in the islands and was a single there was another single misty not sure where that is
Old 03-28-2020, 11:45 AM
Registered

Speaking of the Boats built in Romeo MI. Macomb County Marine Division still uses a Cherokee. They keep it at the boathouse on the Clinton River. They dont use it a whole lot anymore. But it is in the water every year. What was the name of the builder?

Last edited by hadleycat; 03-28-2020 at 11:49 AM.

Quick Reply: What ever happened to CHEROKEE BOATS?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.