Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   ALMOST SOLD THE BOAT!!!!!!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/11911-almost-sold-boat.html)

Lake Front 01-31-2002 12:28 PM

I also would never request a test drive without being seriously interested in the boat. But I also know that I would walk away at the first mention of a deposit; especially non refundable.

Unfortunately, when selling anything, you need to weed out those who are actually serious from those who are the tire kickers. But it does sound like this guy was not a tirekicker if he was willing to fly down.

Hopefully you will have better luck with the next prospective buyer.

[ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: Lake Front ]

THE BULL 01-31-2002 10:12 PM

i got an email from the guy and this is what he said........I liked the look of the 28' Cigarette. After watching what has been available the past few months in the under $30k price range yours popped up. After seeing the pictures and description yours looked like the best one out there for the money. So I jumped on a plane and came down to see it. Your Boat was everything you said it was, with no surprises. Everything you did to it was done first rate. My only problem was I felt it was more boat then I need for the Lake I'm on........blah blah blah.....guys!!! watch out for this guy...he will be hitting the 22-28 foot range next week... more boat than you needed?? 1000hp on a 28ft?? ****, i was looking to put blowers on the thing next year.......1500hp....who the hell would buy the boat then????? :rolleyes: :eek: :mad:

puder 02-01-2002 12:16 AM

Bull that is quitea bot of boat for a lil lake. A frien dof mine used to spend hi summer with his family on a lake in CT. And there wa s guy witah 100hp jet boat. He coudl only run full out for at most 30 seconds. Any longer than taht and he woudln;t have enough time to slow down. He would go back and forth from one end to eth other for like 30-45 minutes 30 seconds at a time at like a 100mph. Kind of silly if you ask me.

BacDoc 02-01-2002 12:52 AM

I'm the guy who took a day away from my business ( way more than the BULLs $300)and flew down to FL on a $1100 plane ride to "CHECK OUT" the Bulls boat. I'm sorry I never said I was going down to BUY it I said I was going to check it out. After a short ride, I flew home. It was a nice boat but after seeing it in person felt it was more boat than I needed for the lake I'm on. Living where I do I don't have the luxury to check out different types of boats locally. I'm stuck looking at them online and pictures. It's impossible to know how a boat feels by looking at pictures. I own two boats presently and if I had felt differently about the Bulls boat its safe to say that I would be a three boat owner. I'm a serious buyer and don't have time or need to fly around the country for FREE boat rides.
Quite frankly all the **** from this guy ( his post and email) because I didn't buy his boat is ridiculous and childish. If he needed some money for gas all he had to do was ask.
I don't see why my reason not to buy the boat is any less credible than someone else not buying it for whatever reason after seeing it.
As for " you guys should watch out for this guy" all I can say is you should, you just might sell that boat you have been trying to sell.
PS If I have broken some kind of offshore rule about checking out a boat and not buying it please let me know because I've never heard of such a thing.

Cain Crew 02-01-2002 12:56 AM

That clears that up.

elimi 02-01-2002 01:56 AM

this is good chit man!

Playn 02-01-2002 07:21 PM

I can understand the feelings on both sides. Buying and selling can be a stressful experience. I once flew from Michigan to Atlanta and drove to a neighboring state to look at a boat that I had seen online. I had recieved emailed pictures that looked great. When I saw the boat in person it had stress cracks and checks all over it, the seller didn't even bother to clean it up prior to me seeing it. Needless to say I was pretty disapointed. Back in Atlanta I discovered another boat that I really liked (emotions of buying a boat must have been getting to me) and I made an offer contingent on a mechanic's inspection. A few days before I was going to drive down to Atlanta to pick it up we found out it had a rotten transom. I'm sure both sellers wern't real happy I didn't purchase their boats but I wasn't traveling the country looking for free rides either. And after all this, I end up purchasing a great boat 2 hours away from my house that I happen to see sitting in a parking lot from the road :rolleyes: Go figure And actually after we've had the boat a couple years we're thinking of selling it for something a little smaller that we can use on more lakes around here

I'm sure Bull's boat is great and that Doc will find what he's looking for, it just takes time.

DanL 02-01-2002 07:47 PM

hey Playn, ya know Russ York, lives in Howell, hangs at JJ's? Good budomine.
Guys, I've spent lots of money looking for and looking over boats. My last deal was a swap where neither party had seen the others boat and I trailered mine for 18 hours. The other party played me like a fish because of my vulnerability. He was out zero money to my time and 600. in towing fuel and tolls. There is no harm if both expend decent money and interest in pursuing the deal. A 42 Fountain in Michigan with the seat cushions reupholstered by the sellers mother(looked like ****) was still unsold 18 months later after he refused to come down $1500. I flew my own plane and burned 700. in avgas to see the boat in Mich. Price is $5000. less than my final offer and he still owns it. My last deal went through and 6 months after the exchange I still don't have proper ownership papers. Seems dealers were jumping titles to avoid paying sales tax. Another thing about owner/brokers, they spend very little on the most basic repairs. Just their nature.

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: DanL ]

Playn 02-01-2002 08:26 PM

DanL, Don't know Russ, but JJ's is about a mile from the house :D

THE BULL 02-02-2002 08:19 PM

no problem guys, my boat was first class, everything i said it was..........to come down 1000 miles in the middle of the week to look at a boat and drive it without a comment of i love your boat or i don't like your boat is fine by me. But when you have free tickets from frequent flyer miles like bacman with 7 posts not costing 1100 bucks like he said, verified on the phone and OSO, it is not too pleasant of an experience. Nuf said, good luck on a lake boat, son. You'll need it!! LOL :p :rolleyes: :eek: