Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Quality Difference between the West Coast vs everywhere else, (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/119154-quality-difference-between-west-coast-vs-everywhere-else.html)

Jassman 12-26-2005 05:41 PM

Quality Difference between the West Coast vs everywhere else,

What sets these guys apart, Like Hallet, Schiadi, Nordic, a couple of brands you dont hear to much about, or at least on this board. Are they lake boats, and how do they perform in the rough stuff. How does their QUALITY STACK UP just curious for a comparision. They look good, just never been on one, other than the pics and what I have rarely read on PB mag. Jeff

bgchuby01 12-26-2005 05:47 PM

Re: Quality Difference between the West Coast vs everywhere else,

They are more set up for the lakes (Havasu) but the quality on most of these are good. Nordic was just bought by a guy (Randy Davis) that races in ski races so you may see Nordic come out with a 42 or 43 foot offshore boat that will work in the Catalina Ski Race.

Indy 12-26-2005 05:52 PM

I had a 28 Nordic and ran it in Long Island Sound for three years. Did well for the most part, could have used a sharper entry for the chop on some days, but for the most part it did well. It has more amenities than say the Long Island race bred boats. Wormanship is outstanding, straight hull sides, hand layed glass.

Jassman 12-26-2005 06:57 PM

How come nothing on Hallett, they have a 40 and a 54, they look a little old school especially the 40,(maybe just the website) but if i remember correctly PB loved the boat.

Edward R. Cozzi 12-26-2005 07:30 PM

These California ski boats never had good dealer representation in SE Florida, so they are very rare here.

Years ago I was on a Hallett with twins on a possible trade.
The quality and finishing work were excellent, but the shallow vee made a harsh ride in the ocean. Pretty quick in flat water, but not a boat that would sell here.

CBR 12-26-2005 07:45 PM

I think since most of the time you don't want to be in the Pacific ocean swells, the western fast boats are made for lakes and the California delta. In Hot Boat magazine I have yet to see a gathering of blown Switzers etc. at Catalina. <gg> Once you are offshore in Calif, you are stuck there. Not a whole lot of fun for the family.

On the East Coast you have the intercoastal providing a barrier from King Neptune, the Florida Keys and many large bays. Lots of inlets to run offshore if you want, then duck back in. Plus the run to the Bahamas, some open ocean running before the sheltered waters. Hence East Coast boats are more ocean friendly hull designs, they are more likely to be out in it for brief periods.

Kind of the opposite that you would expect.

BajaFresh 12-26-2005 07:53 PM

Yup, the Pacific Coast is nothing like South Florida. We run up and down the coast or to Catalina but that's about it.

Most of the customs are low deadrise boats and go fast on the lakes but big water slows them down. A few of the guys will run to Catalina but not in the nasty stuff. That's why there's a lot of Cigarettes out here! :D :D :D I had one until I moved to Vegas (lake Mead / Havasu). I just bought a Baja 25 Outlaw which I preferd over all the west coast customs. It has a lot more freeboard and I think handles the bigger water way better. Plus, you don't see many of them here.

Edward R. Cozzi 12-26-2005 08:41 PM

Eliminator seems to be making the transition. They have some models that are catching on down here.

Panic Button 12-26-2005 10:14 PM

Most just cruise the lakes, I'm not big on bow riders and mid cabins. Also when the swells come up on Mead they get scared and head for home or a cove, I just go faster and smile. :drink:

Harper220 12-26-2005 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
Eliminator seems to be making the transition. They have some models that are catching on down here.

Right on! :D I've owned two and ridden in many others, excellent build quality/rigging and can't beat the looks. The newer 33 and 36 Daytonas are just gorgeous...