Notices

How to throttle properly

Old 12-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking How to throttle properly

I have never seen this topic discussed before.I have never broken a drive before but I wonder how long my luck and or skill will last.I have never really slammed my throttles wfo from a standing start,and pumped my throttles while airborn.Some people say you should load the drive before re entering the water so whats the real deal?Please share your opinions.Any techniques besides praying?
Old 12-28-2005, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How to throttle properly

where do you boat???
Old 12-28-2005, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

On the dash is the only way!
Old 12-28-2005, 07:41 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by plumbers crack
I have never really slammed my throttles wfo from a standing start,
...that's not a good idea.....ever
Old 12-28-2005, 07:49 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's how JT throttle's the boat.

http://www.nautiboats.com/avi_images...20Sept%209.WMV
Old 12-28-2005, 07:58 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: How to throttle properly

I used to boat around long island,the north shore had big swells and occasionally a nice chop thrown in as well.Great south bay was more of a close group of waves and fairly easy to navigate.offshore much more distance beteween waves and you are able to launch and catch big air.I have been running boats from a 24 outlaw to my current 38 with out a problem.Just curious as to what everyone else is doing.8 yrs of boating and no broken bravos,but I try to take care of my stuff.Im not talking big horspwer vs bravos more of a technique question.Any serious answers?
Old 12-28-2005, 08:02 PM
Registered

Man I love that video....

Depending on what you want to do. You throttle differently.

For a WOT run. I roll on the throttle from idle. Slowly taking it to full throttle as the boats speed picks up and it gets up onto plane. Then I start to trim the drive and tabs up till I get a nice smooth fast run.

For a cruising run. I roll on the throttle from idle. Slowly taking to full throttle as it gets up onto plane. Once on plane. I will start to roll the throttle back to the cruising speed I want. Start working the tabs and drive once on plane.

Basically, you want to roll on and roll off. Saves wear on the parts.

When running at speed, either WOT or not, and you hit rought stuff to get some air time, you want to back off the throttle as the prop leaves the water. After the hull lands again, you want to get back on the throttle to keep your momentum up and get ready for the next roller. This will help to keep you from stuffing or having too hard of a landing. Remember, you dont want to roll off throttle too soon before leaving the water. This can cause you to launch it nose up and give you a hard landing. (At least what Ive found through trial and error. )

If I am incorrect in any technique, anyone feel free to correct me.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:03 PM
Registered

By the way. I am running a Baja 240 Sport with stock Bravo 1 and 454 mag. No problems to date.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm no pro but many say you should try to re-enter with the props spinning as fast as the boat. Meaning don't pull all the way back. If you are running wide open and accelerating at 50 mph and catch air try to re-enter at a throttle position that would carry your boat at 50 mph. Not wide-open(obviously) and not at idle. Then get into it after you hit the water again.

I don't know if I typed that clearly. Hard to explain. Does that make sense?
Old 12-28-2005, 08:16 PM
Registered

Re: How to throttle properly

Makes perfect sense.I try to ease off and than load up as soon as I touch back into solid water.Nothin crazy but alittle timing works wonders.Im alittle more conservative with the 38 formula now.The boat is much heavier than all my other boats and stock bravos (xz)I was a little concerned about popping one.This is why Im asking for opinions.If this question seemed too elementary, as they say no question is stupid.Some people are afraid to ask stupid questions not meee!HA Ha!

Quick Reply: How to throttle properly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.