If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

How much water?

Maximus: Your question... "How much water do they draw at speed?" At high speeds, your boat will be completely "planing", and so all the wetted surfaces of the boat are actually planing "on top" of the water. (This is differenct to very low speeds, where there is also a "bouyancy" contribution too). If we know the configuration of the hull surfaces, we can calculate the sf of wetted surface or length of wetted surface of your hull. The total drag of the hull is the combined hydrodynamic drag of the wetted surfaces + hydrodynamic drag of lower unit (if I know the lwr unit design, I can tell you that drag too) + some aerodynamic drag from exposed hull, motor, etc. surfaces.

Often the motor (lower unit) drag can be the most significant drag contributor at very high speeds. Motor drag is influenced by the design of the bullet and skeg, and by the "X-factor" (amount of lower unit in the water) at speed.

My Boats:
    38 Jupiter CC, Miss GEICO
    Boca Raton, FL

Thanks for the info guys. I'll stick to my big cat. I get the "willys" watching that little thing fly(keep thinking a manatee is going to pop up in front of it) . Yikes.

My Boats:
    1999 Eliminator Daytona
    Valparaiso, Indiana

Cat and Dogs!1

Just wanted you to know that my Cat came from the Jungle, His name is Leo and he weighs 625 lbs. Bring on your Dogs!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234