Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   need 2 tips on how to remove fuel tank (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/119477-need-2-tips-how-remove-fuel-tank.html)

jeff32 01-01-2006 10:54 AM

need 2 tips on how to remove fuel tank

Any body did that before? The tank is stuck in foam. beside the crow bar, what's the most efficient way to take the foam off ? And once it's done, tell me how or where to grab the tank to lift it ? you know it is in a real tight area, can't get a strap underneath the tank...

TomFTM 01-01-2006 11:01 AM

Re: need 2 tips on how to remove fuel tank

You need to cut the foam around the tank . I have a hand saw that I bought at home depot that is rigid and has jagged teeth on it. Once you cut around the tank you need to get straps under one end of the tank . Then pull up with some kind of lifting device. (forklift, engine hoist , comealong, or whatever you got) . You must pull on one end at a time to break the suction on the bottom of the tank to the bottom of the boat. Good luck . That job is a pain in the ass. Tom.

GOODT 01-01-2006 11:06 AM

HINT...carb cleaner or acetone will dissolve foam

Hauling Trash 01-01-2006 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by GOODT

bingo

10x 01-01-2006 01:31 PM

When I did mine, I cut all the way around the tank like was mentioned previously here. Then we took out the fuel sender and pickup tube at the rear of the tank, and put the hook from the engine lift into the opening. I had the engines out at the time, and when we started to lift, the whole boat was lifting off the trailer. :eek:
With the back of the boat about 2-3"s off of the trailer, my buddy and I started jumping, together, on the extension boxes. Finally after about 15-20 heavy jumps together, the 1st tank broke loose.

It's not an easy task. They're really stuck in there. Never thought about melting the foam. :(

RMPRam 01-02-2006 12:41 PM

To remove the 2 tanks in my 38 Cigarette, after we cut the cockpit floor out, I borrowed an electric chain saw and used it to "saw" through the foam. It still wasn't enough to get at the foam that was under the tanks.
I also had my engines out at that time and when we had done all the above, a friend of mine and I jumped in the engine compt. with my chain hoist attached to a welded lifting strap/eye that was used on the original tanks for lifting in and out. I was lucky to have those eyes on both tanks at either end. If I didn't have those I would have cut 2 holes in the top of ea. tank and run the chain thru the holes as a lifting point. With tension on the chain hoist and the "jumping" they eventually let loose.
Plan ahead on where you will cut the floor and think about how you want to re-install it when the tanks are in and finished. A suggestion is to screw/glass "pads" that the floor can sit on around its perimeter. Then fill the cut with a paste mixture of epoxy/glassfiller and then use a combination of 6",4" and 2" mate to cover the crack.
If you want to give me a call I will be happy to help you any further.
Gary Kollofski
H: 763-473-8963 eves/weekends

jeff32 01-02-2006 07:18 PM

Don't have hooks on the tank. Cutting hose in the tank is a good idea when you know the tank is already leaking, but I wish to use it again so I'm not comfortable cutting holes... after that I guess the tank is definitly no good, right?

BRUCE SEROFF 01-02-2006 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by GOODT

couple gallons poured around tank. let saturate for a while
( couple hours) It will be much easier then.

Edward R. Cozzi 01-02-2006 07:58 PM

If you're pulling the tank on a boat more than 10 years old, you should buy a new tank.
You are doing one of the worst, most dreaded jobs that can be performed on a boat. These previous posts have some great advice.

Good Luck!

R Addiction 01-02-2006 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by BRUCE SEROFF
couple gallons poured around tank. let saturate for a while
( couple hours) It will be much easier then.

And there will be NO smoking anywhere near this boat for a while!!! :eek: