Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   selling boats on EBAY (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/119839-selling-boats-ebay.html)

TEAMBAJA 01-06-2006 08:22 PM

Re: selling boats on EBAY

I have sold between 12-15 cars on EBAY, and my boat. Always seem to have good luck, and it easily generates the most leads, even if you dont sell it on the auction. I have sold several after the auction.

I always started them at $100 and went from there. Seems like if you start high, its hard to get someone to drop that opening bid.

The last truck I put on EBAY, I put may consider interesting trades. That was a fun auction, because I got offered everything from 4-wheelers, to Ninjas, 11 second tubbed truck, rice burners, you name it. Before I took any offers, someone hit the BUY IT NOW from Chicago and picked it up right away!

rainmn 01-06-2006 08:23 PM

Sold my last boat on e-Bay. Well, technically, as others have described, I sold it becuase of the listing, but after it ended. I listed it with the minimum I would take as the starting bid, no reserve, no buy it now.
Had tons of people watching it and asking questions about it, but no bids when it ended. About three or four days later, one of the guys who was e-mailing me questions made an offer. He drove out here to NJ from Ohio that weekend and brought it home.
Turned out to be one of the easier sales I've done. Only thing that pissed me off was the money I spent to list it in a local publication, which generated exactly nothing, and cost twice what the e-Bay listing did.

rickdarling 01-06-2006 09:51 PM

I bought a 35 Fountain Lightning (my first twin) last month on ebay. Same thing, didn't meet the reserve but worked out a deal via email and through a second chance offer. Flew out and looked at it myself and had a full survey done. It checked out ok and is scheduled to be delivered next week. So far so good. Once I have it, I plan on posting a thread describing the experience.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

glassdave 01-06-2006 10:20 PM

great info guys. thats kinda what i was expecting to happen. i really don't expect to sell it through EBAY but rather generate the interest. after hearing from what people have experienced i am now thinking run the boat through with a 15k starting price along with a ton of pics and info. let the auction lapse and see if i get offers from there (may take a few times im sure). i have been watching several similar auctions and most, if not all, ended with no bids above the minimum. seems to be alot of sales happen after the end.

see . . now this is why i am a member here. good real world info. :cool: :cool:

tomtbone1993 . . . .LMAO :D :D . . .an i'm not to far away from get'n one myself :drink: :rolleyes:

firstoffshore 01-07-2006 12:11 AM

I put my 38 FASTech on e-bay and had 3,300 people look at it in one week. I ended up making contact with a qualified buyer and selling it the week after the auction ended. As many have said...you can't get better exposure.

Semper Fi 01-07-2006 01:25 AM

WOW! I had my boat on there 2x and didn't sell it. I think it's priced right (really right) at $69,999.

NJgr8ful 01-07-2006 03:10 AM

Gerrard yours is special ;) The 'right' buyer still has not seen that boat .... Too bad you weren't interested in that trade :(

GlassDave, Similar experiences, same results for me. I'd go with starting bid low and set reserve at your higher number. It will generate activity, bids, questions, emails, watchers, etc. Someone will contact you with an offer. Then of course it's cash and carry ... all shipping and destination charges on the buyer ;) I've bought a boat, sold the same boat yr. later (+$1000), bought a couple cars and sold a couple cars. Some closed auctions and some after auctions. I agree EBAY is the most exposure you'll get for your money @$40.oo ain't bad. BTW .. after you sell contact SemperFi and buy that 33' PowerPlay :D :drink: Good luck!

gofastlvr 01-07-2006 06:49 AM

I just purchased a 34' Scarab III on Ebay. Just like the others have said, I purchased it after the listing had ended. As a matter of fact, someone hit the "buy it now" and then didn't buy the boat. The guy called me back and I went and picked it up. It is absolutely cherry!

bouyhunter 01-07-2006 09:20 AM

Hey Dave how's it going?
I think you have a VERY fair price on your boat.

I sold the wifes BMW and my Harley both on E-Bay. Good experiences both times.
Start the bid low, as stated above it will generate questions and interest.
The fun one was the BMW. I set the reserve about $2000 over my expected sell price. Once the reserve was met, people started throwing bids at it, and it was fun to watch the last hour or so of the auction (make sure you start the auction at a time you will be able to watch the ending, and not be busy with something else).

The next thing was collecting the money. Bank check, and wait until it clears!!! OR, my favorite CASH. The guy that bought the BMW was a 18 old college kid (that looked EXACTLY like a young Joey Ramone) and he showed up with a back-pack with cash. I couldn't figure out why he didn't take the backpack off when he test drove the car around the neighborhood. Kid was so excited about the car, he forgot to turn the headlights on ( yes, it was dark out, no streetlights either).
Anyway, go for it.
Good Luck in the sale!
How's the scarab coming along?

Semper Fi 01-07-2006 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by NJgr8ful
Gerrard yours is special ;) The 'right' buyer still has not seen that boat .... Too bad you weren't interested in that trade :(

I thought I was special :rolleyes: