Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   speed in salt water / fresh water (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/119847-speed-salt-water-fresh-water.html)

jeff32 01-06-2006 06:43 PM

speed in salt water / fresh water

Do you guys have any experience running the same boat in salt AND fresh water, just curious to see how much speed difference it makes, if it makes any ???

CAP071 01-06-2006 06:52 PM

Re: speed in salt water / fresh water

I never noticed a difference at all

jeff32 01-06-2006 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by FeverMike
When I raced and was more involved with a Factory 1 team we use to test in a local fresh water lake and test in the Gulf. I have personally never noticed any speed advantage of salt over fresh. I had a E class 26 Scarab with a 502 mag that would go 67 in fresh or salt on a same day test.

The reason the myth came about that salt is faster is people that boat in fresh water lakes are at a higher altitued than sea level. When they have compared there boats speeds at there higher altitude lake and then a sea level and forgot the air is denser at sea level thus the engine is making more power.

Your theorie sounds good. When I was racing open wheel Formula cars, altitude made a difference, like you said, the asphalt...not really. Thanks!

drypipetiger 01-06-2006 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by jeff32
Your theorie sounds good. When I was racing open wheel Formula cars, altitude made a difference, like you said, the asphalt...not really. Thanks!

You heading south Jeff?? GL Harvie always noticed an advantage in the foam.

mopower 01-06-2006 08:23 PM

Like FeverMike said , I never saw a difference either . Now hit a mountain lake and I did lose a bit. But sea level salt or fresh...not enough to notice.

Tazz 01-06-2006 08:47 PM

Usually a boat is 2-3 mph faster in saltwater.

jeff32 01-06-2006 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by drypipetiger
You heading south Jeff?? GL Harvie always noticed an advantage in the foam.

Some day I will go to florida with my boat (when my daughters are old enough to make the trip), run on the ocean, just once, cause I realy don't like the idea of putting toys in salt water. We should go together at the same time!

GLH 01-06-2006 10:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1 to 2 mph in my rig.

You'd have seen it in the Lac Taurau Poker Run if you made it !

24skaterVA 01-06-2006 10:41 PM

I was always told saltwater was 1-2mph faster cause it was denser, But thats just what I've been told

GLH 01-06-2006 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by 24skaterVA
I was always told saltwater was 1-2mph faster cause it was denser, But thats just what I've been told

Add me to the ones who told you. :D