Notices

Boarding boats at shows

Old 01-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Boarding boats at shows

You are way too concerned about offending people. Any REAL buyer will understand your hesitation to just let anybody in the boat. You need to have a policy "boarding with salesperson only", anybody that takes offense is not a true buyer.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tazz
You are way too concerned about offending people. Any REAL buyer will understand your hesitation to just let anybody in the boat. You need to have a policy "boarding with salesperson only", anybody that takes offense is not a true buyer.
Tazz,I think you pretty much summed it up here. I guess my concern about offending people comes from 35 years ago when we sold $2500 Glastrons to the average guy. My market is so different now with the high dollar boats,but my roots go way back to the old days and it's hard to realize that I have a totally different market base now.Thanks for the reminder.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:29 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I would want my future boat taken care of so I believe real buyers will understand. Limit traffic, but be polite about it!!!
I tend to go to the shows to see the boats I will likely buy in a few years. I can't afford what I want new so I usually buy something several years old.

BTW: 12 years ago I bought my first new boat, a 26 cabin cruiser, and someone had chit in the head at a boat show the week before. The dealer hadn't discovered the "deposit" until I came by to see the boat the next week. I still bought it, but they had some cleaning to do!!!
Old 01-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wats wit all thsi no kid chit ....id think you coudl put up a sign that siad "please speak to a rep er w.e about further information ab out teh boat er sumthin liek that", so if they were interested and ya talked to em and tehy seemed legit, then you coudl let em in and see it. (not sure if smone alrady said this, cuse i was too laaazy to read all teh posts
Old 01-07-2006, 11:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TRICK
Too bad you even have to ask the question.

I'd never dream of boarding a boat at a show without the invitation of a sales person.

I'm more than content to just have a glance inside from the stairs or platform. If I were seriously shopping, I'm sure I'd be welcome to board with a sales rep.
Fred, we know you only go to the shows to see how well the boat sits on the trailer - no need to go aboard for that!
Old 01-07-2006, 11:29 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try a "Sale pending" sign, boarding with a salesman only.

If people think that there's already a possible sale, only the serious buyer will want to step up to the plate.
I know that if I was real serious about a certain boat, and seen a sign like that on it, I'd really want to get down to the nitty gritty before someone else beats me to it.
Just my opinion.
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 01-08-2006, 04:51 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 375stinger
wats wit all thsi no kid chit ....id think you coudl put up a sign that siad "please speak to a rep er w.e about further information ab out teh boat er sumthin liek that", so if they were interested and ya talked to em and tehy seemed legit, then you coudl let em in and see it. (not sure if smone alrady said this, cuse i was too laaazy to read all teh posts

Is this a reincarnation of Puder??
Old 01-08-2006, 05:04 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have to admit, I'm guilty of this.
I go to the shows, and look at, and board boats I have no intention (or means$$) to buy. I treat them with the respect as if it was my own.
I never board without a salesperson, and I almost feel guilty to ask, but I always ASK to board before doing so. I'll tell them that I'm not buying, but am interested in the construction, fit and finish, options...
This is how I try to educate myself on the latest things out there.

Remember, the guy that can't afford the 35' might be impressed enough to come to the dealership to look at (or just order) the 28'-30' that is from the same stable - based only on it's big sister that he saw at the show.
You don't want to pizz that guy off, you're sending away a prospective customer.
Sales "is what it is".
Sales.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 10x
Try a "Sale pending" sign, boarding with a salesman only.

If people think that there's already a possible sale, only the serious buyer will want to step up to the plate.
I know that if I was real serious about a certain boat, and seen a sign like that on it, I'd really want to get down to the nitty gritty before someone else beats me to it.
Just my opinion.
That dealer would lose my bizz for good. Lying before we even get started. We did the "Boarding with Salesman" thing & it worked pretty well.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Magicfloat
Lots of good thoughts here on a very sticky problem. I am thinking of a rope across the steps that say "Boarding By Appointment" "Please see any of our sales associates" Possibly anyone that is offended by that is someone that it doesn't matter if I offend? Tough call.
That is your best solution. You are not saying "no" to anyone. If someone wants to look at a boat, they can talk to a salesperson. It's just that easy.

The only people that will get ofended are the losers with no money. The "real" buyer will appreciate the fact that there are a gang of unrulely kids crawing all over their future boat.

"BY APPOINTMENY ONLY."
"PLEASE SEE SALESPERSON"

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Boarding boats at shows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.