Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boarding boats at shows (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/119898-boarding-boats-shows.html)

TSPM 01-09-2006 12:33 PM

Re: Boarding boats at shows

Originally Posted by warbird
Nothing disrupts the sales process quite like having your on-board presentation interrupted by "Hey you, How fast/Howmuch/How many miles per gallon/ Is this here the bathroom?"

LMAO .....you forgot one........Where are the ROD HOLDERS :rolleyes:

DonziDog 01-09-2006 12:58 PM

Robert,
Do I need to bring the dog to control traffic on the 370SS??
.....Ricky

gsmith9898 01-09-2006 12:59 PM

I understand your frustration but as a boat buyer, I pay to get in and see the boats. I would not be there if I wasn't looking for a boat. There should be enough profit made from the sales at the boat show to cover the details after the show. If I can't see it, I for sure won't buy it.

Magicfloat 01-09-2006 01:55 PM

Ricky,keep that dog away from my boats. All he will do is pee on the carpet :drink:

wrinkleface 01-09-2006 02:39 PM

Robert, tell'm GRAZZ, AZZ, or they have to Pazz on boarding! :evilb:

Panther 01-09-2006 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by WARBIRD
I've had several of my personal boats in the Miami and Lauderdale shows, courtesy of Nor-Tech. A few observations:

Performance boat cockpits and cabins are small, lending themselves perfectly to only 2-4 potential buyers on board at any one time, FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES TO QUALIFY THE BUYER AND MOVE THE SALE ALONG.

Nothing disrupts the sales process quite like having your on-board presentation interrupted by "Hey you, How fast/Howmuch/How many miles per gallon/ Is this here the bathroom?"

Definitely bring the Buyer's wife/girlfriend-husband/boyfriend on board, since she/he WILL be a large part of the buying decision.

Nothing scratches beautiful paint/gelcoat quite like gaudy, oversized jewelry.

Those paper hospital booties are slippery as hell on waxed fibreglass, and could result in a slip-and-fall. If their feet are so disgusting that they can't board barefoot, donate the $25 for a pedicure.

Too many people on board makes the boat look small.

Finally, in regard to "offending" folks with the way you run your business; "Those who mind don't matter, those who matter don't mind".

just more chit from ole warbird

I'm not disagreeing with anyone but I'd rather check the boat out by myself without any sales person "bothering" me. If I'm interested then I'd ask for help.

Some of these shows are like going to buy a car and all the sales guys come running up to you, ask you what state you live in, where do you do your boating. :mad:

If I was serious and went to the show I wouldn't have to be sold. Rest assured I would already know what boat I want to before I get there and already know what I'm going to buy, it's just a matter of $$ negotiation and who gives the best deal at that point. From there on out it's up to me to "LET" the sales guy close me.

LostinBoston 01-09-2006 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Panther
I'm not disagreeing with anyone but I'd rather check the boat out by myself without any sales person "bothering" me. If I'm interested then I'd ask for help.

Some of these shows are like going to buy a car and all the sales guys come running up to you, ask you what state you live in, where do you do your boating. :mad:

If I was serious and went to the show I wouldn't have to be sold. Rest assured I would already know what boat I want to before I get there and already know what I'm going to buy, it's just a matter of $$ negotiation and who gives the best deal at that point. From there on out it's up to me to "LET" the sales guy close me.

Good point, but a good saleman shouldnt bother you. Unfortuantly many do. It's good to have a saleman there to answer questions, or if they see you eying a particualr feature explain it it more detail, or possibly point out some unique features of the boat, which is usualyl why i check out so many boats of different varieties to see what each one is doing differently even though i have little interest in buying most of the boats i see. The nagging saleman just makes me want to look at other boats. Even if im not in the market now, ill remember good experiences with boat representatives and go back to them when im ready.

on a side note, an annoying grady white saleman was telling me about the awesome performance of the 32 (cruises in low 30's) when i was at the NY show which i thought was hilarious. WHen he asked, I told him i have a 36 nor-tech but i dont think he had any idea what that is.

FunHome 01-09-2006 04:27 PM

I always felt sorry for the dealer with the biggest boat at the show, heck it don't matter what kind it is, the "non-boating" public always want to see it!!

Heck get together with some of the other dealers and bring a "Big ole Houseboat" I saw that once!! They had people lined up 100 people deep waiting to see it!! :eek: They had steps in the front and back so people could just walk thru!!! Sounds crazy, but it might take some of the "non-boating-cowboy boot wearing-crowd" off your hands!! :evilb:

TSPM 01-09-2006 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by FunHome
I always felt sorry for the dealer with the biggest boat at the show, heck it don't matter what kind it is, the "non-boating" public always want to see it!!

Heck get together with some of the other dealers and bring a "Big ole Houseboat" I saw that once!! They had people lined up 100 people deep waiting to see it!! :eek: They had steps in the front and back so people could just walk thru!!! Sounds crazy, but it might take some of the "non-boating-cowboy boot wearing-crowd" off your hands!! :evilb:

LMAO.......WELL it sounds good in principal but the HIGH PERF boats have the "COOLNESS FACTOR" that attract kids and the guys who want to show to the girlfriends their next toy SHE can ride around in...its pretty pathetic.....and when you run their credit report they should be looking at an RC boat not something over 100K. :rolleyes:

FunHome 01-09-2006 04:48 PM

I like it when they have a walk way beside the boat so that you can walk by and look at most of it from the outside and a sign that says "please see a salesperson for assistance". (I realize that you don't have that much room in every booth or at every show.)

I always wear shoes that are easy to get on and off, if I plan on really looking at a certain boat at a show. I cant believe some people when they get upset about having to remove their shoes.

We went to the local Sports Show this past weekend, and my 3 year old really wanted to get into a boat, so as I was talking with the saleman I made her remove her shoes and she stepped onto the boat, she took about 3 steps and turned around and came back and put back on her shoes. While all this was going on a "Boat jumping family" came up and wanted to get into the boat beside the one I was looking at. The saleman had to kinda give them the look like, hey take your shoes off and the Dad even asked "Do I really have to take my shoes off??" We both just looked at my daughter that was slipping on her croc's and smiled as to say "even this 3 year old had the common courtsey to take her's off" It was great the Dad just stayed at the back of the boat while his unruley kids ran throughout the boat. :drink: