Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   525sc package (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/119905-525sc-package.html)

thisistank 01-08-2006 12:08 PM

Re: 525sc package

I have ALOT of experience with them.

I had one in my 24' Outlaw that had a chiller, msd, Gil dry exhaust and was gone through putting out about 650hp. That motor ran good until I got a bit of reversion in it and sucked a valve :(

I have them in the cigarette now. They have also been warmed a bit. Factory set up though (no chiller). The chiller supposidly adds about 50 more hp. They push the cig right along even though we have 3a's with the trannies sucking up some hp. They are strong running motors but someone told me they may be prone to the same issues as the hp500's had with the valve wear happening early. Check the valves and springs.

The little "baby" wiend blower puts out about 5-6 lbs of boost. Not too much to wear the crap out of the motor. the blower doesn't really start to kick in until about 3500-4000 rpm. The only issue with the smaller blower is it causes alot more heat than the bigger blowers. Heat is bad. Basically you can't just stand on it all day long like you can with a 500efi or hp500 or stock 454, 496...you get the point. :drink:

Good luck with the purchase.

Tank

357sr1man 01-08-2006 03:48 PM

What normally is the price for a set of chillers,is it a weind or a b&m blower that they useon the 525s :D .

pm203 01-08-2006 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Friend has triple 525SC's in his 42 Fountain. OH YEAH! Turn key and go other than a new cam in one of the motors. He runs it, no babying it either.

Thats right. Cam wear is one thing that you may want to check.

357sr1man 01-08-2006 04:20 PM

I think one thing I would put on this engine set up is preluber to prevent dry start up.

Griff 01-08-2006 10:45 PM

My 525SC has been great. It has 450+hrs and only uses a quart of oil every 20hrs. I did a valve job and switched to a roller cam at about 350hrs. All the springs were still good as well as the cam. Two exhaust valves were bad due to a crack in the Merc/Gil exhaust. I'm also runnig a smaller pulley with about 7# of boost. The boost comes in right away and dependant on the load you are putting on the engines. Coming up on plane, you will be into the boost, probably around 4#, especially in a 382. I think the weak link will be the drives. The engines have a lot of torque and with the heavy boat, you will need to be easy when coming up on plane.

Scott 01-09-2006 12:53 AM

My friend has this package on his 382. No problems at all! It comes up on plane right away and has great power all through the RPM range. It will run around 75+ and has great mid-range acceleration.

I have been on this boat for pleasure and a Poker Run I have also driven it so this is not an assumption. I would not hesitate if the boat can be bought right. I would also consider a refresh like suggested above. Unless of course you can prove it was a little old lady driving it like you said! :D

BTW this boat does have Bravos and as far as I know it never had drive issues with the previous owner.

thisistank 01-09-2006 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by 357sr1man
What normally is the price for a set of chillers,is it a weind or a b&m blower that they useon the 525s :D .

Weind blowers are on the 525SC...I don't recall what the price was on the Super Chiller I had on my last one.

Brad Zastrow 01-09-2006 02:01 PM

371 hours is high for blower engines even small ones. I would figure on rebuilds real soon. Do not wait till they break. Salesmen..... 45 mph and lots of idling? That is like saying the Corvette was only used for church on Sundays. Assume the worst and hope for the best. I would assume it needs the engines rebuilt. Formulas are great boats.

dirtlawyer 01-09-2006 04:26 PM

the blower is definitely a wiend. I had one in a 98 29 Fever. the blower will need to be rebuilt after about 200 - 250 hours. Rebuild is about $1,000.00. Be careful running a smaller pulley - I did this and prematurely spun a bearing in the blower - the smaller the pulley, the more the blower spins, the shorter the bearing life. Also make sure that the blower unit is full of oil - there is a front and a rear plug.

The only intercooler I have seen for the 525Sc is a superchiller. If I recall, you're looking at 1800.00 +/- for the intercooler, belts, etc. Supposed to add 50 - 100 hp, but I think a lot of that comes from the smaller pulley that comes with the kit - the key benefit to the intercooler is the reduction in detonation risk.

NOTE - W/ A 525SC, YOU MUST RUN PREMIUM!

357sr1man 01-09-2006 04:55 PM

Griff.... Where did you get the smaller pulley from and possibly the part number. Thanks :D