Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Turnkey Boat vs. Project Boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/120014-turnkey-boat-vs-project-boat.html)

t500hps 01-09-2006 03:03 PM

Re: Turnkey Boat vs. Project Boat

I have bought a couple boats that were small projects to clean-up use and re-sell. F-that! It gets old and you always spend more money and ALOT more time fixing them up than you anticipate.
BTW: i didn't vote for the turnkey.....#3 is going to winn al the votes! :D

Steve_H 01-09-2006 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by beachbob
That scarab is nice but its not worth anywhere close to 45,000 check the book value and add 20k still should be less then 30k. engines aren't fresh either..My .02 cents keep looking.... If your not gonna be doing any of the rehab work yourself buy a turnkey boat or you could have problems.. when u should be out there crushing some waves ....

so book value is less then 10K?
what book are you reading?

Clay Washington 01-09-2006 03:37 PM

Steve,

I believe that Bob is saying that it would be tough (if not impossible) to get a bank to loan me $40K for a 1989 31-foot Scarab. I could probably get a loan for $25K and have to come up with $15K in cash.

I could probably borrow $15K for a 1988 29-foot Fountain and spend another $10K making it look "super clean". I just have to decide if I want to go down that road... :rolleyes:

lightspeed 01-09-2006 04:01 PM

I Bought And Sold 8 Boats This Past Summer But I Do All The Work My Self. Its A Tough Call Scarab Is Nice But Too Much Money So Rule That One Out.The Fountain Is Nice But Its On The Old Side And It Needs Glass Work Paint And Interior Your Lookin At A Few Bucks There .If I were You I Would Keep On Looking A Deal Will Pop up Cause If Its A Good Deal I Will Be there To BUY It If I Come Across What You Are Lookin For I Will Let You Know ..Hows The PLAYMATES////////If You Are Lookin For Outboards I Have A Super mint 26 CORSA twin 200 Mercs On A Bracket Large Sun Pad Runs 80 All Day Long For 20K

Steve_H 01-09-2006 04:02 PM

ok, that makes sense.

OldSchool 01-09-2006 04:52 PM

Buy a turn key boat that is ready to go. Unless you LOVE doing that kind of thing (fixing up old stuff), it's always a joy to finish a project...but you NEVER get any return on your investment (especially if you count the hours of your time).

If you buy a turnkey boat, make sure that it's turnkey!!! It's easy to put a dress on a pig, but it's still a pig!!!! Too many people have bought what they think is a nice older boat...only to be replacing an engine or other major things within a short time.

Edward R. Cozzi 01-09-2006 04:58 PM

Clay:
If you decide on the Fountain I can survey it for you myself. Deerfield Beach is near me.
Ed

Clay Washington 01-09-2006 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
Clay:
If you decide on the Fountain I can survey it for you myself. Deerfield Beach is near me.
Ed

Thanks, but the Fountain is in a warehouse in Atlanta. The seller (Greg - Cash Bar) is in Deerfield Beach. :p

Clay Washington 01-09-2006 05:17 PM

BTW... Option #3 is in the lead! I'm not feeling the love anymore! :( :p

RollWithIt 01-09-2006 05:27 PM

You should just buy my boat clay. 88 Baja 240 Sport. Single 454 mag and is definately turn key. :D