Ouch! How common is this failure

Old 01-11-2006, 12:57 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Ouch! How common is this failure

did the boat sink while running?
how long was it under for?
could be a good candidate for a redo, if it can be bought cheap.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:09 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper31
Is the bell housing beefier in the HP Transom assy or just a heavier gimbal ring? I know the bell housings have different part numbers between the two. Where is Marc from BAM, he would know?
The bell housing is different. The std. gimbal ring has fiber bushings which can be replaced and the tilt pin screws into the bell housing. The HP style does not have the bushings in the ring and has a tilt pin that is held in place by 4 screws. The bell housing does not have any threads.

Sure looks like it's still a nice boat. Doesn't appear to have any problems with the hull. Hopefully someone filled the motors up with diesel or pickled them.

That's all I need.... another project.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive seen it happen twice, on two different boats. Once was a Chapparel in the Ohio river that hit a log, and one was in the winter at Lake Cumberland on a 30 Outlaw that hit a log.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:14 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Re: Ouch! How common is this failure

Originally Posted by TEAMBAJA
Ive seen it happen twice, on two different boats. Once was a Chapparel in the Ohio river that hit a log, and one was in the winter at Lake Cumberland on a 30 Outlaw that hit a log.
Lesson Here:
Do NOT do any high performance boating near logging camps!
Old 01-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How does it sink???

I can see if the gimble breaks and pulls the drive shaft out of the gimble theres a big hole . But if just the belows breaks and the shaft stays in .there will be just a slow leak.

Am I missing something???

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:02 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

stormrider, I was standing there when they brought it up, took a couple of hours dont know how long it was down for. Did hear that it was also in need of a fuel tank replacement due to leak. When the boat was pulled it sits just like you see it in the pictures. For some better info I would ask the guys in Brick NJ about it for it was at a local marina there.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:24 AM

Looking at the gimble picture, it also has the 'repair in situ' plastic plugs in the sides of the transom casting, so someone has done work on this, and not wanted the extra work of removing the motor and gimble to do it.....not a good sign.

I wouldn't want a repair done to the top pin/tiller, or any major part of the gimble without having it on the bench so you can do a proper job. It really aint that much extra work for such an important part of the boat!.

Just my humble opinion.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stormrider
did the boat sink while running?
how long was it under for?
could be a good candidate for a redo, if it can be bought cheap.
the boat did have a fuel leak mid last summer . and the boat was under overnight and pulled the next day it was my boat a year prior and i saw it in brick on land during the summer an heard about a fuel leak not sure why they would go for a ride later that summer with a leak but still what a shame .
Old 01-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
How does it sink???

I can see if the gimble breaks and pulls the drive shaft out of the gimble theres a big hole . But if just the belows breaks and the shaft stays in .there will be just a slow leak.

Am I missing something???
I was wondering the same thing...

Even if the drive shaft pulled out they still had the other motor and could idle back in. Once the boat is moving forward no water would be comming thru the opening and they would have had plenty of time to get to a launch ramp/marina etc. What about bildge pumps???
Old 01-12-2006, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a twin alpha boat that threw a u-joint. knock out the bellows and busted up the bell housing. when i stopped to see why my engine shut down, water was coming in. I was 30 miles from the ramp, I turned on the bilge pump and had everyone go to the front of the boat. Got it on plane, and im sure it was hard on it, but got it back to the ramp at ~30mph. The bilge pump shut off once i got going. A single engine would have sank, but thats what that extra engine is for sometimes.

Quick Reply: Ouch! How common is this failure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.