Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Dry sump vs. Wet sump #6s (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/120203-dry-sump-vs-wet-sump-6s.html)

blingbling 01-11-2006 11:53 PM

Re: Dry sump vs. Wet sump #6s

On a 32 skater I had with wet sumps and a round skeg, about 139mph the ass end would start to move around. Jerry Gilbreath told me to convert to dry as well as a Herring swep skeg. Not only did it haul ass, but went straight as an arrow. He once told me that he found on the race boats that had round skegs back then, the ones that he at least ran, had handling issues at about 130. Cats that is. BTW, the price to convert to a swep skeg with herring, is a bit more then what's been posted.

Corsa 31 01-12-2006 07:10 AM

I have a 32 skater with 800sc's and wet #6's that gets a little hairy over 125mph as well. I seldom go that fast so would not be benificial for me to convert to dry sumps & swept back, but good info to know. Very easy to cruise all day 4000rpm=100mph, wife prefers I stay under 100, also safer with 4 people on board.

mr_velocity 01-12-2006 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by JCPERF
Bravos are on Fever now :cool: I am debating shooting the lock off my wallet and buying a dry sump 6 for my boat. :D

Get a hold of ScottB he has a #6 for sale at a very good price. You should talk to Craig Colabella about the difference in conversion numbers. When he was our crew chief he was doing conversions for a lot of the race teams so I am sure he's got the numbers.

stecz20 01-12-2006 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by OldSchool
Don't make me send my wife up there to whup you. :cool:

if you do, can you tell her to make me a corned beef on rye with mustard, and a beer too.... make sure she has something sexy on when she comes up.. thanks pal....

OldSchool 01-12-2006 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by stecz20
if you do, can you tell her to make me a corned beef on rye with mustard, and a beer too.... make sure she has something sexy on when she comes up.. thanks pal....

:D :evilb: :D :evilb:

Ron P 01-12-2006 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by JCPERF
I will mainly run my Activator.We will run Fever in a couple of races.I will run it with Joe Sgro.Joe Latona will be at the races as an advisor :drink: :drink: I was in Fever when we almost hit Armed and Dangerous in 93 FT lauderdale :cool:

Yup, it was the Worlds in Ft Lauderdale. I guess it was as close as it looked. South end turn...

You sure it wasn't 94? I could almost bet on it.

DPT MOTORSPORTS 01-12-2006 10:06 AM

JC,

Not really sure how much of a speed difference there would be but there will definitely be a difference compared to an older #6 compared to a drysump/swept back skeg #6. Not sure what the cost difference would be but if you can do it for minimal then go with the dry sump and the swept back skeg. I think Herring makes swept back skegs for the older sixes. Hope that helps you a liitle.

JCPERF 01-15-2006 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ron P
Yup, it was the Worlds in Ft Lauderdale. I guess it was as close as it looked. South end turn...

You sure it wasn't 94? I could almost bet on it.

93 for a 100 wink :D

SCARABJ 01-15-2006 02:42 PM

douch bag how was the ride back?? :D

JCPERF 01-15-2006 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by SCARABJ
douch bag how was the ride back?? :D

Good until we hit the bullsh1t weather.Yeah shut up i know your going boating today.Timmy says we should have a roast of Fred[Pompi] :D :drink: