Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How many people wear life jackets during a poker run? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/120239-how-many-people-wear-life-jackets-during-poker-run.html)

drypipetiger 01-16-2006 10:48 AM

Re: How many people wear life jackets during a poker run?

Thank you for the valuable information BK.

Ron P 01-16-2006 10:48 AM

According to Lifeline - in order to be CG approved, each vest needs to be identical to the ones that got approved. Same material, color and stitching.

Because they custom make them, each one would need to be CG approved. However, they are APBA approved which is a much higher standard than CG approval.

CG approved bricks are for abandoning ships at sea. They offer no impact resistance nor will they stay on your body should you be thrown out. They just keep you afloat.

Forget the CG approval, that a MINIMUM safety requirement. Get a lifeline or similar and get the protection you need while running hard.

OldSchool 01-16-2006 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by CAP071
Why haven't they been approved? Does anyone know?

I think that the owner of Lifeline (or maybe a distributer)commented on this once on here and said that it was alot of $$$ to go thru the USCG approval process.

docmanrich37 01-16-2006 10:54 AM

Forget the CG approval, that a MINIMUM safety requirement. Get a lifeline or similar and get the protection you need while running hard.[/QUOTE]

I agree.I have 2 on the boat.

CMG 01-16-2006 01:30 PM

[QUOTE=BajaIceBreaker]Nice....

I am glad you pointed that out. Like I am really going to pay that kind of money for a sporty vest when it's not even CG approved. You would think Lifeline would want to change that.

I can see the headlines now.
"Man dies in boating accident - Not wearing a CG approved PFD".[/
QUOTE]

If you have a boat thats doing over 90mph and get thrown out the head line will be "wreckless operator's pfd was shredded upon impact and he was knocked unconscious - never stood a chance". :(

aquaforce 01-16-2006 02:02 PM

I haven't run a poker event yet but look forward to it. I will definately have a pfd and lanyard. I live for boating but don't care to die for it.

BK, Thanks for the info and the links about lifelines. I had a minor experience getting thown out at 35mph and the last time was at 45mph and fell 8 feet from the air. My ribs didn't get comfortable for 2 months and for another month I could still feel strength returning. I am definatelty going to look into a "flak" equiped jacket.

Safe boating everyone :D :D

WildWarrior 01-16-2006 02:20 PM

[QUOTE=CMG]

Originally Posted by BajaIceBreaker
Nice....

I am glad you pointed that out. Like I am really going to pay that kind of money for a sporty vest when it's not even CG approved. You would think Lifeline would want to change that.

I can see the headlines now.
"Man dies in boating accident - Not wearing a CG approved PFD".[/
QUOTE]

If you have a boat thats doing over 90mph and get thrown out the head line will be "wreckless operator's pfd was shredded upon impact and he was knocked unconscious - never stood a chance". :(

Ever taken a solid spill while water skiing, it can be like hitting a brick wall. I was knocked unconscious due to a bad fall several years ago laying face down in the Hudson River.Its easy to have your life vest half on or restricting your arms after impact and that's at usually less than 40 mph when skiing.
Unfortunately the powers at be have not kept up with the speeds even the slowest performance boater runs today and they still have 1950s safety/ life jacket regulations in place.
In my opinion unless you have leg straps on your jackets to hold it on your body during impact you're probably better off not wearing one at all if ejected at speed. If it doesn't break your arms when it comes off , it may quite possibly restrict your swimming ability when its covering your face!

H20 Toie 01-16-2006 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by docmanrich37
Forget the CG approval, that a MINIMUM safety requirement. Get a lifeline or similar and get the protection you need while running hard.

I agree.I have 2 on the boat.[/QUOTE]

That's good if you only have two people in the boat.

GeoGraphics 01-16-2006 10:30 PM

On Poker Runs America events, You wear jackets when going any faster than on plane, or you are disqualified. Awsome events, I always have a blast whatever boat I am in.

sleeper_dave 01-17-2006 09:21 AM

All you guys telling me i should be wearing a life jacket on my 45 mph boat... do you have kids riding the bus to school? Did they ever start putting seat belts in those things?

Y'all must boat in much bigger water than me. I never see anyone wearing a life jacket when i'm out on the boat, except for jet skiers and the guys with the 18 foot jet boats with supercharged big blocks. And despite all the drunks, and as many boats on the water as anywhere else in the country, hardly anyone dies!

Next your going to be telling me i should wear a life jacket on my dad's 20 mph chris craft!

I still think i'm better off going WOT (maybe 62 mph) in my fountain with no life jacket and a beer in my hand than i am driving down the highway on the way to work with my seatbelt on and both hands on the wheel. but maybe that's why i got a license to drive a boat at age 12 and i had to wait until 16 to drive a car.

Sure people get thrown out and killed all the time but you're on crack if you think i'm wearing a life jacket for pleasure boating on lake st. clair. Maybe if i had an 80 mph boat or i regularly tackled 10 foot waves, but i don't, so all i even have on board are the cheap orange ones. And if the boat goes down i'm just going to jump in and stand up, i'm not even going to bother grabbing one.