Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How many people wear life jackets during a poker run? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/120239-how-many-people-wear-life-jackets-during-poker-run.html)

OldSchool 01-17-2006 09:25 AM

Re: How many people wear life jackets during a poker run?

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
All you guys telling me i should be wearing a life jacket on my 45 mph boat... do you have kids riding the bus to school? Did they ever start putting seat belts in those things?

Y'all must boat in much bigger water than me. I never see anyone wearing a life jacket when i'm out on the boat, except for jet skiers and the guys with the 18 foot jet boats with supercharged big blocks. And despite all the drunks, and as many boats on the water as anywhere else in the country, hardly anyone dies!

Next your going to be telling me i should wear a life jacket on my dad's 20 mph chris craft!

I still think i'm better off going WOT (maybe 62 mph) in my fountain with no life jacket and a beer in my hand than i am driving down the highway on the way to work with my seatbelt on and both hands on the wheel. but maybe that's why i got a license to drive a boat at age 12 and i had to wait until 16 to drive a car.

Sure people get thrown out and killed all the time but you're on crack if you think i'm wearing a life jacket for pleasure boating on lake st. clair. Maybe if i had an 80 mph boat or i regularly tackled 10 foot waves, but i don't, so all i even have on board are the cheap orange ones. And if the boat goes down i'm just going to jump in and stand up, i'm not even going to bother grabbing one.

:eek: :D Looks like you have it all under control!!!

birdog 01-17-2006 09:42 AM

All you guys telling me i should be wearing a life jacket on my 45 mph boat... do you have kids riding the bus to school? Did they ever start putting seat belts in those things?

Y'all must boat in much bigger water than me. I never see anyone wearing a life jacket when i'm out on the boat, except for jet skiers and the guys with the 18 foot jet boats with supercharged big blocks. And despite all the drunks, and as many boats on the water as anywhere else in the country, hardly anyone dies!

Next your going to be telling me i should wear a life jacket on my dad's 20 mph chris craft!

I still think i'm better off going WOT (maybe 62 mph) in my fountain with no life jacket and a beer in my hand than i am driving down the highway on the way to work with my seatbelt on and both hands on the wheel. but maybe that's why i got a license to drive a boat at age 12 and i had to wait until 16 to drive a car.

Sure people get thrown out and killed all the time but you're on crack if you think i'm wearing a life jacket for pleasure boating on lake st. clair. Maybe if i had an 80 mph boat or i regularly tackled 10 foot waves, but i don't, so all i even have on board are the cheap orange ones. And if the boat goes down i'm just going to jump in and stand up, i'm not even going to bother grabbing one.

Dave. I really dont care if you kill yourself at 62mph..Really I dont....Just let me send you $3.00 for a lanyard so you dont kill anyone else if you get tossed out

BK 01-17-2006 11:25 AM

No one is telling you to do anything. They are just suggestions for a safer and happier time on the water.

This thread is for people who actually see value in their lives, value the lives of their passengers, and for those who are concerned for the ones who will miss them when they are gone.

For instance, I'm more concerned about leaving my kids as orphans - and wearing a jacket is a piece of cake - it's really not a big deal. :rolleyes:

Anyone who reads this thread and becomes better prepared when or if they do get thrown overboard makes this thread worth its bandwidth in gold.

But there will be a few who aren't afraid of drowning or brain damage no matter how easy it would have been to put on a jacket. This thread is not aimed to those people.

sleeper_dave 01-17-2006 11:47 AM

Man you guys really lay it on thick.

Seatbelts in a car, okay. Then everyone has to wear a helmet on their motorcycle. I can see that. Slippery slope, though... because now everyone is supposed to wear a helmet when riding their bike and wear a life jacket when on their boat. What's next, everyone has to wear a hat so you don't get seagull shiit on your head? Give me a freakin' break.

I prefer to just operate my boat in a safe and responsible way, and not worry about throwing people overboard. Been boating more than 14 years and nobody's gone overboard unintentionally yet.

OldSchool 01-17-2006 12:00 PM

Hey Dave,
How do you feel about lanyard/kill switches? Is that also a waste of time? Just curious :D

boatman22 01-17-2006 12:08 PM

I think every boat should have lanyard/kill switches, but they don't. I always attach mine when I'm in the boat no matter what...but this thread is about life jackets being warn during a poker run....which is not a race...right?

I have to agree with Dave

dank368 01-17-2006 12:19 PM

[almost] Every poker run I've been on the life jackets have been mandatory. So, the answer is yes, I wear them during a poker run. Plus I wear them when I plan on going fast.

BK 01-17-2006 12:24 PM

Man you guys really lay it on thick.

Seatbelts in a car, okay. Then everyone has to wear a helmet on their motorcycle. I can see that. Slippery slope, though... because now everyone is supposed to wear a helmet when riding their bike and wear a life jacket when on their boat. What's next, everyone has to wear a hat so you don't get seagull shiit on your head? Give me a freakin' break.

I prefer to just operate my boat in a safe and responsible way, and not worry about throwing people overboard. Been boating more than 14 years and nobody's gone overboard unintentionally yet.

One question --- Why do you feel that people are saying everyone HAS to wear a jacket? Nobody has said that. Like I said above, this thread is information for people who care about themselves and their families and don't want to end up as fish food - like too many already have. (even some that were in "slow" boats).

The thought of vanishing in 100 ft of water is not a good thought, so I wear a jacket. I also operate a boat safely - but there are many other ways to find yourself in trouble. A jacket saved me in 3 crashes, none had to do with my driving.

Strange things can happen out on the lakes or oceans and nobody is ever prepared. Of mine, two involved mechanical failure and one involved another boat's steering loss which then ran into me at 60mph, causing me to stuff. I was catapulted right over the bow. :eek:

I was dazed & hurt badly and would have not been able to stay afloat on my own. "Here fishy, fishy..."
Thank God I had a Lifeline on. :)

So if you really don't mind the scenario of your family having to drag the depths for your body, then there's no reason to fuss over the jacket issue. :D

If you really find it is too difficult to put one on when you go boating, then don't wear one - it's that simple! :D :evilb: :D

sleeper_dave 01-17-2006 01:00 PM

Hey Dave,
How do you feel about lanyard/kill switches? Is that also a waste of time? Just curious
Lanyards are great on jetskis. But if i'm coming into the channel at, say 10-15 mph, and i forget i have a lanyard on and stretch to grab a cold beer, i don't want my boat stalling and the wake coming over my stern. So, like i said, i'll just boat safely and not worry about it.

I will usually wear a lanyard if the boat has one, but they're usually nothing more than a pain in the ass. I always forget it's on and end up killing the motor at a bad time, like when i'm trying to dock and need to move around and be able to handle the boat.

One question --- Why do you feel that people are saying everyone HAS to wear a jacket?
Because as soon as i post that i don't wear one and have no intention of starting to wear one, everyone berates me for it.

R Addiction 01-17-2006 01:04 PM

As I said early on in this thread.....I almost didn't make it after I was thrown out of a boat in the 99 NYC poker run at 80 + mph. No jacket, knocked out coming out of the boat along with 3 other guys.....one of the guys luckily felt something on his foot about 5-6 feet below the surface and went down to check and it was me.......bought me up and put me on the engine hatch which was floating around........got me breathing....medicaly induced coma for 4 days....rehab for 6 months. Now I attach my lanyard and wear a life jacket on rough days and in all poker runs!!! If you chose not to wear a PFD then thats your choice....Things can happen in the blink of an eye....breakage, debris in the water, other reckless boaters.....best to be prepared. Just my .02cents!!