Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
what was the build quality of an 80 hammond challenger? >

what was the build quality of an 80 hammond challenger?

Notices

what was the build quality of an 80 hammond challenger?

Old 01-14-2006, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default what was the build quality of an 80 hammond challenger?

lookin at the one in the classified but was a little concerned about the stringer floor and transom replacement if it wasn't well done. that seems like a lot of rot considering my 79 mistress has no rot anywhere. was wondering if this was common on these boats? thx for any info, ratman
Old 01-14-2006, 08:36 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: what was the build quality of an 80 hammond challenger?

The 1980 was a "Real" Hammond,by that I meant built by Bob Hammond,not the later stuff by either Renken or Stryker. We sold the real Hammonds from their inception in 1975 as a 1976 model until Bob grew tired of boatbuilding and sold the molds and retired in about 1983/84.Never had any rot issues with his boats. A friend has a 1982 Hammond Challenger that is still as solid as the day it left the factory. Don't know about the boat in question,it is 25 years old,but anything Bob built was built as well as possible back then. Good luck,and if you need more details and history on these boats,I will be glad to share. We were Bob's #2 dealer for many years,always behind Louie Raven's Boat Town in Austin,the home town dealer.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:39 AM
NMN
Registered

Hi MagicFloat I have just come across this thread. I recently have purchased a 1982 Hammond Challenger yesterday actually. I was hoping I could get a good history lesson from you? I have had a few boats over the years but I know little about Hammond. Any information or links you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-08-2018, 06:55 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by NMN
Hi MagicFloat I have just come across this thread. I recently have purchased a 1982 Hammond Challenger yesterday actually. I was hoping I could get a good history lesson from you? I have had a few boats over the years but I know little about Hammond. Any information or links you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
MagicFloat, one of the long time good guys on this site is no longer with us, he passed a few years ago.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:14 AM
NMN
Registered

Oh no I am so so sorry! My apologies ! From reading through MagicFloats threads he seemed like a very knowledgeable and good guy that liked to help others.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

yeah, that thread was from 12 years ago. RIP
Old 06-08-2018, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by NMN
Congrats on the purchase. I owned one of the last Challenger's made in 84. Wonderful boat. Check out classicglastron.com for more info.