Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boat/Car Insurance poll (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/120573-boat-car-insurance-poll.html)

miamioffshore 01-16-2006 11:11 AM

Boat/Car Insurance poll

I'm shopping for a new car insurance policy, also have serious plans to purchase boat within next several months. Would like to have car insurance with same company as who will insure the boat. Who is good/bad? I have heard state farm has hull speed and horsepower limitations, etc? In other words who can you recommend that will insure 2 cars and boat at good price?

Thanks,

Michael

Griff 01-16-2006 03:54 PM

Re: Boat/Car Insurance poll

Pretty much all companies that will insure a car will have hp and speed limitations for the boat. Most I have heard are in the 60-70mph range depending on the company.

waterheater 01-16-2006 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by miamioffshore
I'm shopping for a new car insurance policy, also have serious plans to purchase boat within next several months. Would like to have car insurance with same company as who will insure the boat. Who is good/bad? I have heard state farm has hull speed and horsepower limitations, etc? In other words who can you recommend that will insure 2 cars and boat at good price?

Thanks,

Michael

Lotta factors involved to try and do what you want.....provide some details and maybe i could help a bit...

miamioffshore 01-17-2006 09:55 AM

I'm looking to purchase a cafe or top gun early 90's, around or just below 500 hp per side, nothing crazy. Would like insurance for the boat , truck and car to be together so I can get the discount. What other details would you like?

Sean H 01-17-2006 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by miamioffshore
I'm looking to purchase a cafe or top gun early 90's, around or just below 500 hp per side, nothing crazy. Would like insurance for the boat , truck and car to be together so I can get the discount. What other details would you like?

talk to your current insurance agent and see where you would be at first, you can usually get the best deal with the company you have already done business with especially if you have been a good customer (no claims)

miamioffshore 01-17-2006 01:16 PM

Well thats part of it, I just turned 25 so I'm looking for cheaper rates, my current policy just renewed 2 weeks ago and the insurance company said my discount for being 25 won't kick in til the next policy. I asked why dont I just cancel my policy and buy a new one, they said they would deny me coverage if I did that. So I say forget them I'll go elsewhere. My current company is Esurance, don't think they do boats anyway.

Underdog88 01-17-2006 05:58 PM

State Farm was no problem on boat and quoted me 600 per year less on my 4 cars and motorhome than I am paying w/motorist mut. I'll be switching them soon. Motorist said no way on the boat.

500per year on agreed value boat policy of 30k on a 70+mph boat. No questions asked. I checked w/several companys who wanted surveys, coast gaurd classes ect. S.Farm said give me 50bucks and it's covered. No layups, no limitations on waters used in ect. :evilb: