"Prop Riders" the book....60 yrs of hydroplanes >

"Prop Riders" the book....60 yrs of hydroplanes

Notices

"Prop Riders" the book....60 yrs of hydroplanes

Old 01-24-2006, 05:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: "Prop Riders" the book....60 yrs of hydroplanes

A front engine small block...hmmm...sounds like a small hydro or a Jersey Speed Skiff. I would vote for the Skiff as they're much more practical. You can actually 'sell' the idea to the family as it will hold more than one. They are a blast to drive. The single seaters can be a tough sell.

Jersey Skiffs are in production and are pretty affordable. As for the single engine hydros, well, they're around as well. Check out some for sale at <http://www.vintageraceboatshop.com/TradingDock.htm>. I don't mean to keep selling the vintage race boat shop, (I don't have any affilation other than being a friend of Bill John) but he has some pretty good connections in the Vintage world.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

no skiffs......those things are insane!!! .......Id keep the Fountain for the family......the hydro would be my personal little toy.......Although I saw in Powerboat that Lauterbach will make you a front engine GP style two seater with a big block chevy and a TRS......do you know anything about that???......they showed a picture of one that they had in Clayton.....that thing was sweet!!!
can you buy plans for a front engine smallblock hydro to do it yourself???
Old 01-24-2006, 05:20 PM
Registered

That hydro was featured in Classic Boat. It does loook nice but he wants around $120K (I think). As for plans, I think they are available, but I'll have to ask around. Bill John might know where to get them (603-569-5824) or the Mystic Seaport Museum Ships Plans department (860-572-5360) might have some. I've gotten plans from them before, very helpful people. They have a couple dozen old Gold Cup racer lines (including SCOTTY) and I'm sure they could dig up a set of hydro lines
Old 01-24-2006, 09:07 PM
Registered

120K ....wow...... I wonder if they would make you a bare hull.......no engine or drive and unfinished (bare wood) hull.......I could install my own engine/drive and put all the coats of varnish on the outside.......Im not much of a woodworker, but maybe working on something as cool as a hydro as opposed to a rec room might keep my interest!!!!
Old 01-25-2006, 06:46 AM
Registered

went to www.lauterbachboats.com they show a pic of their two seater.......that thing is so cool and to be able to take someone along would be the best thing for me in the long run......it certainly looks "period" enough for me!!.....Im going to give them a call.......they mention "hydro plans" on the site......wonder what the performance of that thing is......the internet is great!.......doug
Old 01-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Registered

It DOES look cool. The article in Classic Boat had a number of great shots and you're right about that second seat. It turns the boat into something usefull (at least a little bit).

Please let me know how your discussions turn out. I'm interested as well.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Registered

heres the pic...and my set up.....called Lauterbach for the heck of it.....not in till the 30th
Attached Thumbnails &quot;Prop Riders&quot; the book....60 yrs of hydroplanes-lauterbach%2525202%252520seater.jpg   &quot;Prop Riders&quot; the book....60 yrs of hydroplanes-holidays-033.jpg