Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who owns Ilmor 625s and can give feedback? >

Who owns Ilmor 625s and can give feedback?

Notices

Who owns Ilmor 625s and can give feedback?

Old 01-20-2006, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Who owns Ilmor 625s and can give feedback?

Got the latest Hotboat today, more of the westcoast builders are starting to use them, they tested an Eliminator Daytona with one. The Spectre I saw was a 32 I believe but not sure. But one thing is for sure Sonny, I saw sick mid-range acceleration, you're in for a ride man!!!
I'm no expert here but I believe they are here to stay as well. I think they'll take a bite out of some the U.S. V8 market that V12's couldn't.
Now I have a question for you guys that have them. I was reading in the mags that they're a little tricky to dial in propwise because of their wider powerband and that they said going with a slightly smaller prop will bring the Revs up enough to actually gain speed. I thought this was interesting. How much prop playing have you been doing with the V10's???
Old 01-20-2006, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Spectre 30
Who made the 2 into one tail pipes on the center engine?

36 daytona, 625 vipers, 128mph.

i personally love the viper motors! they're light weight, have great torque, great sound (IMO)... and we are getting more and more requests for them.

brandie leach
Old 01-20-2006, 11:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Troutly
Yeah, but they sound like a wet fart going by!!!!
Don't imagine you'd turn a set down though, would you?
Old 01-21-2006, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Steet
I own the 41 velocity with the 625's and I can assure you after almost 20 years of a dedicated mercury owner, I will go with Ilmor again and again. They far surpass mercurys warranty hands down. I had a problem with one of my 550's last year before the 625 upgrade and it was a fuel pressure problem
Ilmor sent their trouble shooter to my house for a complete diagnostic test and found that it was a fuel delivery problem. I actually fried an engine and it was a fuel line problem but they replaced the engine free of charge, even though it was not their problem. I then upgraded later in the year for the 625's and could not be better satisfied. The only problem I have had is one water pump that is going back for analysis and a free warranty replacement. Ilmor has never questioned a warranty problem and I guarantee mercury will not give you the same warrranty. If an Ilmor engine fails and you need replacement, they will send a brand new one to your local dealer and your down time will only be a week or two. Can you be guaranteed this by Mercury. NO!
As far as resale, I think that now with as many Ilmors in the market place, they will carry their own. Ilmor is here to stay.
As I said in previou post, look at the money backing Ilmor and you would be susprized to see that they could literally buy Mercury. Money is not an issue, but quality and relability is. Look at their website and notice that they dominate the Indy circuit
Thank you very much for your input. So you have had both of their motors. You have to be the only person in the U.S. to have done that. Do you think they will come out with a bigger one? 750hp? That is impressive that they sent a tech to your house, I could not imagine mercury doing this. I spoke to Ilmor today and they told me that EVERY SINGLE engine at the Indy 500 this year is built by them. That alone says alot to me. How fast is your boat with the 625s? Is the torque as killer as they say it it? I have a ride in a Donzi 38ZR in 9 hours from now so hopefully I will be grinning ear to ear. How has the fuel economy been? I have been told that they are pretty good on gas for the power they produce. Thanks
Old 01-21-2006, 09:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DRIVEN1
I have been told that they are pretty good on gas for the power they produce. Thanks
Yes they are pretty efficient powerplants.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a ride in a Donzi 38ZR in 9 hours from now so hopefully I will be grinning ear to ear. How has the fuel economy been? I have been told that they are pretty good on gas for the power they produce. Thanks............................................ .................................................. .................................................. ..............................................let us know what you think... get your ck book ready.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BLeach

36 daytona, 625 vipers, 128mph.

brandie leach
that speed/HP is impressive.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:12 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

I spoke to Ilmor today and they told me that EVERY SINGLE engine at the Indy 500 this year is built by them. .
i wouldn't put too much into that, honda is the only one left in the series, and they can't wait to get out.....
Old 01-21-2006, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by customryder
I have a ride in a Donzi 38ZR in 9 hours from now so hopefully I will be grinning ear to ear. How has the fuel economy been? I have been told that they are pretty good on gas for the power they produce. Thanks............................................ .................................................. .................................................. ..............................................let us know what you think... get your ck book ready.
Well I just got back from the test ride. I love the sound. The boat at idle sounds less aggressive than the 525s, but when screaming along at almost 6000 rpm they sounded awesome. The boat was fast for a 38 foot v-hull. With me driving the boat and not really trimming the boat out I was doing 92 mph with half a tank of fuel. The water was like glass so it did not help. I did not trim the drives past 4, Mike from Lightning Bay said trimmed out it does 96. Yes I left the check book at home trying to play it safe. Besides I need to sell a 2005 Fountain 38 LX with triple 225 optimax if anyone knows someoone that wants that boat.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I just got back from the test ride. I love the sound. The boat at idle sounds less aggressive than the 525s, but when screaming along at almost 6000 rpm they sounded awesome. The boat was fast for a 38 foot v-hull. With me driving the boat and not really trimming the boat out I was doing 92 mph with half a tank of fuel. The water was like glass so it did not help. I did not trim the drives past 4, Mike from Lightning Bay said trimmed out it does 96. Yes I left the check book at home trying to play it safe. Besides I need to sell a 2005 Fountain 38 LX with triple 225 optimax if anyone knows someoone that wants that boat.
How much for the 38lx?

Quick Reply: Who owns Ilmor 625s and can give feedback?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.