Notices

Jobs in SW Florida?

Old 02-01-2002, 09:25 AM
Cain Crew

Post Jobs in SW Florida?

Wife and I have had it with the crappy weather! She said it's time to move! Selling my marina and looking to go south. Anyone with an opening? Looking but not locked into Sarasota on down.

Old 02-01-2002, 03:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
CC,
I hope you make to Fl., the weather is UNBELIEVABLE this year!! BUT, if you are thinking about opening another Marina, especially in SW Fl., then be prepared for a good fight! Please read this article http://www.savethemanatee.org/taleecty2.htm
Take care, and hope to see that sweet Phantom running around down here.
MD
BTW, Now that I'm on my Manatee Soap box, check this out:

CAPTAIN TOM McGILL, P. E.

254 Sykes Point Lane

Merritt Island, FL 32953

October 28, 2001

An open letter to Save the Manatee Club

Dear Club Manatee:

I’ve been reading the propaganda on your web site regarding whether manatees “hear very well.” You state, “Anatomically, manatees have extremely large ear bones and may have a good sense of hearing.” I’m glad you said, “may,” because at the low end of the frequency spectrum, manatees don’t hear very well, but they do hear up to 46 KHz, which is way beyond human hearing. Their lower frequency drop off is ~ 400 Hz compared to 50 Hz for humans. That means they have great difficulty hearing noises that are very common in their environment such as slow moving boats. Of course the volume of sound is also important for the manatee to discriminate between a noise source and the ambient noise in its environment, and slow moving boats put out low amplitude and low frequency noise.

Drs. Gerstein and Blue are eminent scientists who know about the science of acoustics and the acoustic environment in which the manatees live. Dr. Gerstein is the only scientist who has directly measured and confirmed the audiogram of the manatee. He has received praise from well-respected scientists who are involved in acoustics and mammal research. Dr. Blue’s credentials in acoustics are impeccable. All other methods, such as anatomical evaluation of the manatee’s ear structure, must be evaluated against the audiogram developed by Dr. Gerstein. This information about the manatee’s hearing ability has existed since 1997, yet Club Manatee has refused to accept it. Interestingly, there are no scientists within Club Manatee that have any understanding of the acoustical hearing of the manatee or the noise in the manatee’s environment, but that doesn’t stop them from putting out misleading information about such.

The irony is that Club Manatee argues against the very science that could provide a win-win solution. They oppose Drs. Gerstein and Blue’s approach, but don’t have one scintilla of scientific fact to refute it. They are as the proverbial person whose mind is made up and nothing can change it. Fortunately, truth usually rises to the surface, and all the propaganda from Club Manatee can’t change the fact that manatees collide with motorboats for reasons that have never been properly considered or discussed. Those collisions are why many manatees have scars from multiple encounters with slow moving boats. Manatees are not dumb nor are they slow and lethargic. They collide with slow boats because they don’t hear them and the boat operator doesn’t see the manatee. There are several other factors involved in this scenario, but the most important is that manatees have great difficulty hearing slow moving vessels.

Captain Tom McGill

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: Dean Ferry ]
Old 02-01-2002, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If anything good is out there..I'd like to hear about it too...already have family in Cape Coral...

Old 02-01-2002, 08:12 PM
V8V22

I live in NW Cape Coral I moved from Maryland 1 year ago. what kind of work are you looking for? Alot of people here run Mobile shops, there are boats in most back yards

Old 02-01-2002, 08:13 PM
Intolerant1

Also moving south iin the next couple years. Maybe we should band together ? I have a couple business ideas floatin around my gray matter. Or is it grey...

Old 02-01-2002, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
V8,

Open for anything..currently work for the AP in Treasury...Bored to death!!..my wife works in NYC for a law firm...

Ever been to Jimmy's Roadhouse in Bonita??..my brother runs the place..killer sandwiches!

Old 02-01-2002, 10:54 PM
Cain Crew

I'm open to anything. i was raised in a custom sheet metal job shop. close tollerance (.005) stainless steel. Love boats but again open to anything. my wife is a teacher, and we have family in estero and venice. Just get me out of here!

Old 02-01-2002, 11:15 PM
Cain Crew

catmando...nice boat...those surface drives sure do throw a rooster tail. I would have loved to ha been there for the building and orginization., but I don't think I would last to long as a bus boy,waiter etc. any idea where i could fit in...chip

Old 02-02-2002, 07:37 AM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
I just moved here to ft myers in oct...i love this place...not real crowded...every thing you need is pretty much here...2 hrs from the life in miami if your up for that...bought a house on the river which i never could have afforded in calif or any other big city..the weather is fantastic....think i'll go work for the tourist board
the papers are full of jobs...i'm in the construction industry and my wife is in the med field. i got a job the 2nd day i was here...took her a whole week. what more can i say????
Dan
Old 02-02-2002, 09:19 AM
mmo jo

I live in Fort myers and Im a snap on tool dealer .What part of the marine ind are you in? Every body is looking for techs.

Quick Reply: Jobs in SW Florida?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.