Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Huge lake proposed between Omaha and Lincoln, wow! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/120937-huge-lake-proposed-between-omaha-lincoln-wow.html)

Harper220 01-20-2006 09:56 PM

Re: Huge lake proposed between Omaha and Lincoln, wow!

Originally Posted by Payton
Relax Harper. He was refering to Mayor Nagins remarks the other day. That was funny.

That is very cool about the lake. :cool: How deep wil it be? Will it be for a hydro electric damn? How many people will displaced? Can you get lake front property? :drink:

I don't know anymore specifics other than what was quoted in this article:

At 26 miles by 8 miles, the lake would run from West Center Road in Douglas county to Waverly along Interstate 80. Plans call for lakefront homes, businesses and a hydroelectric dam to be built at a cost of between $1 billion and $3 billion.

Payton 01-20-2006 10:13 PM

Between 1 billion and 3 billion! Wow! It's amazing to me how the government throws those numbers out like it's monopoly money. Don't get me wrong, I am sure it's a good thing and will create a lot of jobs and business opportunities. But man! That's a Lot of money. :eek:

Harper220 01-20-2006 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Payton
Between 1 billion and 3 billion! Wow! It's amazing to me how the government throws those numbers out like it's monopoly money. Don't get me wrong, I am sure it's a good thing and will create a lot of jobs and business opportunities. But man! That's a Lot of money. :eek:

I hear ya, and they make it sound like it's no big deal, like there's not that much off a difference between 1 billion and 3 billion ... :eek:

I'd hate to see it cost that much, but that's a big friggin lake for around here. How do you figure the acres on 8 miles by 26 miles? I bet that's bigger than LOTO~:eek:

BBB725 01-20-2006 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Harper220
I hear ya, and they make it sound like it's no big deal, like there's not that much off a difference between 1 billion and 3 billion ... :eek:

I'd hate to see it cost that much, but that's a big friggin lake for around here. How do you figure the acres on 8 miles by 26 miles? I bet that's bigger than LOTO~:eek:

133,120 acres

vonwolske 01-20-2006 10:54 PM

Area is length times average width. If the lake is 8 miles at the widest part and tapers down to zero at the inlet, then the average width is 4 miles. Multiply 4 miles times the length of 26 miles equals approximately 100 square miles. There are 640 acres per square mile, therefore the area will be 64,000 acres.
However, they measure volume storage capacity of a lake as acre-feet which is the volume of water within one acre but only one foot deep. One acre is about 43,000 square feet. Therefore one acre-ft is about 43,000 cubic feet.
Lakes bring prosperity and a good life style to any area.

Interestingly, Texas has only one natural lake in the entire state. All the rest are man made. When the Army Corps of Engineers builds them, ususally for flood control and irrigation, they don't allow any residences on the shore line. There are still plenty of marina on the water and parks, but the houses set up on the hill sides. Enjoy your new asset.

Harper220 01-20-2006 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by BBB725
133,120 acres

I'm curious, how did you figure that? All I know is that an acre is roughly 212' x 212' or 45,000 sq.ft.

5280/212 = 24.905 x 26 miles = 647.53
5280/212 = 24.905 x 8 miles = 199.24

647.53 x 199.24 = 129,013 acres

Is this how you calculated?

Payton 01-21-2006 06:59 AM

An acre is 43,560 square feet.

MOP 01-21-2006 08:51 AM

Hmmm purhaps the honorable mayor would consider using the 200 buses that were left parked during the evacuation to haul the dirt, that is providing they still run! That surely would erase the fact that he left the people high and dry at the super dome!

later 01-21-2006 09:25 AM

hopefully will take some of the pressure off LOTO

later

of cousre i'll be dead by the time this is built

Harper220 01-21-2006 10:11 AM

This thread really wasn't intended to discuss New Orleans or ratfuk's distasteful comments. He was the first to chime in and hijack with his idiotic comments once again. :(

Now, let's talk about lakes, water and boating... :D

I just thought the idea of a huge lake in my area was awesome news, considering there's nothing here except the Missouri River to boat on.