Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Thinking about a procharger.... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/121016-thinking-about-procharger.html)

synack 01-22-2006 02:42 AM

Thinking about a procharger....

I've got a 1997 Donzi 22ZX with a carb 454 Mag and Bravo 1. I've been toying with getting an M1SC but have some concerns about putting that supercharger on the boat.

Do you guys think it might be too much power for such a small boat? Also, I was reading in the procharger literature that the installs need a Holley carb. Does this mean that the stock carb has to be swapped out? Last question is should I be concerned about putting that on a boat that has over 300 hours on it?

offthefront 01-22-2006 06:41 AM

Re: Thinking about a procharger....

I would think any problems would trickle down to the operator ... If you know you have more power its up to you to operate accordingly. At 300hrs you would be wise to freshen up the motors but I am think you could get by for a while .... Again ... its up to the Operator .. m

Boatally Insane 01-22-2006 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by synack
I've got a 1997 Donzi 22ZX with a carb 454 Mag and Bravo 1. I've been toying with getting an M1SC but have some concerns about putting that supercharger on the boat.

Do you guys think it might be too much power for such a small boat? Also, I was reading in the procharger literature that the installs need a Holley carb. Does this mean that the stock carb has to be swapped out? Last question is should I be concerned about putting that on a boat that has over 300 hours on it?

A friend of mine dropped an HP500 in that very same boat and it handles GREAT at 78 mph...Drives like a Cadillac.....

Doug

Clay Washington 01-22-2006 07:22 AM

I had a 22-foot Crownline bowrider with a 600+hp Whipplecharged 502! :eek:

Like everyone said, it's up to the captain how you drive it. You don't have to go WOT on every run. It's just nice knowing the power is there for a 10 to 15 second "race". :D

IMHO... Look at Whipple before you buy the Procharger.

Good luck! :cool:

TxHawk 01-22-2006 09:10 AM

It would be wise to freshen the engine first. If you dont you are going to be doing the install with additional expense later. I would look at other options for a blower... whipple, vortech, or a small roots.

synack 01-23-2006 12:52 AM

The procharger literature makes them sound much better than the other superchargers (as to be expected). What would make the others more desireable for my application?

Fanatic 01-23-2006 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by synack
The procharger literature makes them sound much better than the other superchargers (as to be expected). What would make the others more desireable for my application?

http://www.procharger.com/M_engine.shtml

tomcat 01-23-2006 12:23 PM

1) Refresh the engine (rings, bearings, valve job).
2) Upgrade head gaskets, rod bolts and exhaust valves (if they are not Inconel).
3) Install a bigger cam. Think about porting the heads, especially exhaust.
4) Service the drive.
5) Buy a Holley carb (modified by Nickerson) and Dart intake (single plane)
6) Upgrade the exhaust manifolds.

Now you're ready to decide on superchargers.

Small roots - ~525 HP
Small roots with intercooler - ~600 HP
Procharger M1 - ~650 HP
Rtech - ~740 HP

You will also need a complete fuel system upgrade at the higher HP levels. For short bursts the engine and oil cooling will be OK; for sustained power you will need to upgrade engine and oil cooling capacity. In a light boat with reasonable throttle action the drive will live; get crazy and you will be buying an XR drive or other aftermarket Bravo upgrade.

Don't be misled by marketing that suggests supercharging is an easy, plug and play proposition. Good luck. If it were my boat I would hook up with a marine engine builder who had experience with this type of modification.

Tom

ZXXX Donzi 01-23-2006 09:25 PM

It is a good idea, but listen to what Tomcat and others are saying. Go to Donzi.net and post the question. It has been done a number of times with the 22ZX.

Procharger is not turnkey as advertised. I would recommend having someone that has been down that road before do the work. On MPI applications you may end up needing a reprogram, possibly injectors and other goodies. In the carb situation I hear that it is good to have a pro tune your carb. The kits have been changed over the years and the instructions have not been appropriately updated (at least on the 502 MPI).

I would have been up the creek if I not been dealing with some experienced operators. My mechanic showed me some of the details in the directions while we were mailing things back and forth to ATI. Lots of mistakes.

Now that it is almost done (still dealing with props and stuff) the power increase is great. All-in-all I am satisfied.

You should do your homework on all of the systems. Expecially if you plan to do it yourself. Some are more turn key than others. The price difference vs other pains might not be that different in the long run.

If you go Procharger, then buy it from a reputable dealer. You may need them to deal with ATI if the order does not exactly come out right. I used Lakeside Restorations and Jamie was a huge help.

pm203 01-23-2006 10:08 PM

From what i have heard, Prochargers are the Bayliner of superchargers.Be carefull.