Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Va boating bill shot down! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/121227-va-boating-bill-shot-down.html)

Blue by You 01-04-2007 03:30 PM

Re: Va boating bill shot down!

The Virginia SB528 BILL that was tabled until 2007 is now back up for review...rumor has it more bills are going to be presented.

In a message dated 1/27/2006 8:46:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, SMLPBA writes:
Everyone better keep their eye on this one. This singles out SML and supports speed limits and education. It has been voted on in the senate and has passed 38YES & 0-NO's. If anyone has any additional info on this, let us know.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...?061+sum+SB528

slboatdrinks 01-04-2007 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by pull my trigger (Post 1605812)
Good for you guys!!!......it sets a good precedent for boaters all over the country too

Dito

Blue by You 01-05-2007 07:21 AM

Summary as passed Senate: (all summaries)
Boating Safety. Makes it a Class 4 misdemeanor for anyone to operate a motorboat on the waters of Smith Mountain Lake without having successfully completed an approved boating safety education course. The education requirement is phased in so that by July 1, 2015, all motorboat operators will have been required to complete and pass the course or an equivalency exam. The Board is directed to develop and administer the mandatory boating safety education program through the promulgation of regulations, taking into account comments from the public. There are a number of ways a person can comply with the law other than successfully completing an approved course, such as passing an equivalency examination, possessing a valid license issued to maritime personnel, etc. The bill sets a maximum speed limit of 25 miles per hour on Smith Mountain Lake between sunset and sunrise. Anyone who exceeds this limit is subject to a fine of up to $250. The bill also repeals the current law that requires at least one game warden to patrol Smith Mountain Lake during the boating season.

Ca$hed Out 01-05-2007 07:59 AM

Jim - is this what is proposed or what has been agreed? Is it saying that the 25 MPH speed limit was approved and will be enforced starting 2015? I wasn't able to see the verbiage about the speed limit in the summary...

docmanrich37 01-05-2007 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by On The Heat (Post 1983143)
Jim - is this what is proposed or what has been agreed? Is it saying that the 25 MPH speed limit was approved and will be enforced starting 2015? Having a bit of trouble following the flow...thanks!

Must be in the SUN to long and it fried your brain.:evilb:

Ca$hed Out 01-05-2007 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by docmanrich37
Must be in the SUN to long and it fried your brain.

SUN won't come out for me until April my friend....

Not sure if I will be able to get up there and run with you guys at that speed. I may not be able to get off plane :eek:

Blue by You 01-05-2007 10:15 AM

Proposed, but in 06 it was tabeled until 07 with the Agriculture, Chesapeake and Natural Resource Committees.

HOWEVER, don't be fooled. a group of , let's call them, home owners on SML & Lake Anna want us GONE! They have all day & night to fight this thing and IF there is another bad accident with a powerboat/jet boat involved they will have just what they need to pass this through. Keep your eyes & ears open and keep the group notified of any happenings.

As of 03/01/06 House: Continued to 2007 in Agriculture, Chesapeake and Natural Resources (12-Y 10-N)

They added the part of 25MPH at night. While this sounds like an OK idea, going back and adding a day time speed only requires a majority vote, while the initial speedlimit part required a 3/4 vote. I do believe.

Reckless32 01-05-2007 03:12 PM

Screw the lakes. Move on down to the ocean fella's....;-)

Seriously though, it's thanks to the old folks on the pontoon boats that create all this government involvement. All they have to do is enforce the laws already in force, and any problems will take care itself. The frightning thing is, once the legislation door is swung open (read Pandora's box) it will be like any other legislation meant to control how people live, it will just lead to more and more rules/laws to the point where's there's no point in even boating. Once legisltion laws are enacted they're pretty much permanent with more to follow. Personally the laws should be just as they were in 1776. To each their own, and let each beware. Basically the right to be, therefore you are...or something like that.

docmanrich37 01-05-2007 03:15 PM

Bite your tonque TAPA11.

CAP071 01-05-2007 03:16 PM

Everyone needs to make sure we vote out these fools who pass these laws through their office.