Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   "Carry-On" Air Conditioning (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/121276-carry-air-conditioning.html)

US1 Fountain 01-25-2006 03:58 PM

Re: "Carry-On" Air Conditioning

Love it! And we hate AC. It stays at our slip, so we don't haul it around in the boat. I picked up an extra one last fall from someone getting out of boating. Hard to pass up good deals.

wananewboat 01-25-2006 04:05 PM

I saw a bayair system work in KW. It worked very well. I think they put them in the Concepts also. He must think things are going to get hot in the cabin. :evilb:

Clay Washington 01-25-2006 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by OSOAdmin

I like it! :D

ratman 01-25-2006 05:34 PM

thats a badazz lil unit what do they get for one? how many watts to run one? i have a 1200watt inverter, i wonder if the inverter has enough power to run it while running the boat. i plan on getting a lil honda 2000 watt gen set for when overnighting. let me know what you find out clay, rm

ratman 01-25-2006 05:35 PM

and thus the money pit begins........
somebody make him stop it right now... :D

Quiet Storm 01-25-2006 06:05 PM

I like to be optimistic but this sounds like BS to me. Have you seen or felt it work?

Clay Washington 01-25-2006 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Quiet Storm
I like to be optimistic but this sounds like BS to me. Have you seen or felt it work?

All it would need to do is lower the temp by 15 to 20 degrees. Anything more would "freeze your azz off".

I would be worried about how it looked. Can it be "installed", or just it just sit out in the open and look like some "jury-rigged" A/C system? :(

Clay Washington 01-25-2006 06:34 PM

We have just taken on another advertiser that provides Outerlimits and Nor-Tech with their 12v air cond systems. Hold off before purchasing and I will post the information shortly.

Do we get an "OSO Discount"??? :D

wantsa311 01-25-2006 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Clay Washington
Has anyone tried one of these?

One came with my 311. Works great.

vonwolske 01-25-2006 07:24 PM

The bay air requires that you feed it with ice.
It is rated at 6,500 Btu(per hour)? Which is slightly greater than a half ton of cooling. One ton is 12,000 Btu/hr which comes about from the archaic concept as the equivalent cooling released by melting one ton of ice per day, e.g., over a 24 hour period. This works out to be like 80 pounds of ice per hour to be a half ton of cooling capacity.

You will never need that much cooling. If I was to take a guess, probably twenty pounds of ice per day will do the job just fine. White deck in the sunlight will make a big difference over darker colors.

You're not trying to "hang meat" in there, are you? Oh, I forgot, it is Clay and he probably is trying to hang meat in there.

Jim