Great news!
Dan
Old 01-27-2006, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: No speed limits in VA!

Originally Posted by mwdill
2nd bill got shot down today!
this one had a speed limit of 35 at night with bass tournament exception, also requiring spotter's in boats for skiers and tubers, and mandatory education, but none of it went thru, we were really hoping for the education bill but we will have to wait untill the next bill with it in it, should be in the next day or so,
but once again NO SPEED LIMITS!!!!!!!!: : :

Great news!!! Be prepared though, I bet the SMLA is not done with this matter.

I always though a spotter was required....or was this just common sense drilled into my head by my parents?
Old 01-27-2006, 06:58 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shah Mat
Great news!!! Be prepared though, I bet the SMLA is not done with this matter.

I always though a spotter was required....or was this just common sense drilled into my head by my parents?
It is great news.The blue haired task force is not done for sure but at least its not going to in the regs this year.I thought and hoped the man. boaters education would go through.the spotter reg was givin up back when Allen was in office.Should have a spotter either way.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good news.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:14 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Great news guys, congrats!
Dean
Old 01-27-2006, 07:34 AM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Oh Deere
Does anyone know what the convincing argument was in the defeat?
Yep..... 2 groups working together.
Attached Thumbnails No speed limits in VA!-picture045small.jpg  
Old 01-27-2006, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts

You SMLPBA guys ever thought of getting your own "Boating Safety Awareness Program" together? Maybe just something as simple as drawing up a pamphlet that covers safe speed, spotters, boating at night ,PWC safety, etc. and placing them at marinas, boat ramps and water stops. I'd be willing to make a $$ donation toward something like this.

Acting before sometimes strengthens an argument.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:03 AM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

We are very lucky guys. This could have gone either way ... fortunately the blue hairs were not that organized and had too many arguments internally. Not to mention the 2 or 3 drivers of their efforts were not well liked by their own. I for one feel this is not over ... this summer is going to be critical for us. We as a Powerboating group must avoid any dumb situations. Use our heads and strive to make our waterways better for everyone, not just our group. If that means flipping the captain calls in and around homes, then so be it. The more we do now the easier it's going to be the next time, because rest assured...there will be a next time. Use your heads guys and keep each other out of trouble. If we can do that, our kids will enjoy the same pleasures we have for many years to come.

A BIG THANK YOU to everyone who supported our exhausting efforts and a special THANK YOU to Will & Lori Dillon who invested a large amount of time & tears into fighting this ... all while strategically biting their toughs. You guys are awesome.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:12 AM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Shah Mat
You SMLPBA guys ever thought of getting your own "Boating Safety Awareness Program" together? Maybe just something as simple as drawing up a pamphlet that covers safe speed, spotters, boating at night ,PWC safety, etc. and placing them at marinas, boat ramps and water stops. I'd be willing to make a $$ donation toward something like this.

Acting before sometimes strengthens an argument.
We have...the SMLBA already does this. We certainly don't want to duplicate efforts but the SMLBA is really dividing into two groups. Those that can't stand us and those who can. I think the SMLBA might see this division really split their membership and the SMLPBA would welcome any of those "CAN" folks. HOWEVER, our groups membership is $75/year and the SMLBA is $15. Not everyone is going to pay for that. I think the shake out will be the SMLPBA will align ourselves with the right groups to support a safety program... exactly when is TBA. There's just too much turmoil right now. We already have a good relation ship with the USCG Aux. and DGIF.

We do, however support your donation and would welcome it. You can always fill out a registration form at www.SMLPBA.com and become a member for $75 and this way your donation would get you a couple cool shirts, koozies and other misc. stuff as well as discounts in the SML area too.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:01 AM
Registered

Great NEWS!!!