Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   o/t good drill bits (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/121392-o-t-good-drill-bits.html)

mike11 01-27-2006 05:10 AM

Re: o/t good drill bits

Snap On bits are made by Hansen get a set of those in cobolt and save some $$$$$$

PatriYacht 01-27-2006 06:19 AM

I used to be a die maker. We drilled through 3+ inches of tool steel over and over all day long. A good high speed steel drill bit will last a long time if you use the corrct speed, enough pressure to produce a chip that comes of in a curl, and a coolant. A water soluable oil coolant can be purchased at any machine tool supply store. Sharpening a drill bit by hand is easy. You just need someone to show you how. I'd be glad to if you're in the area.

Eclectica 01-27-2006 06:29 AM

A broken bit is aggravating, but you can still practice your hand-sharpening on the stub if it's long enough.

The tip end (that broke off) can be epoxied into a "wire-nut" and use it to start holes in plastic or wood. If big enough, it can be used to hand-chamfer smaller holes.

Harbor Freight has a grab-bag of really good, but odd-sized, bits for $5. (Metric maybe?) I don't think I've broken any, and am not sure why I'm saving my Snap-Ons!

open87 01-27-2006 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
I used to be a die maker. We drilled through 3+ inches of tool steel over and over all day long. A good high speed steel drill bit will last a long time if you use the corrct speed, enough pressure to produce a chip that comes of in a curl, and a coolant. A water soluable oil coolant can be purchased at any machine tool supply store. Sharpening a drill bit by hand is easy. You just need someone to show you how. I'd be glad to if you're in the area.

don't think i'm going to michigan any time soon :D thanks though :D

ratman 01-27-2006 10:29 AM

i have the snap on cobalts and some cheap titanuim coated bits i got at harbor freight i paid 300 for the snap ons and 18 bukcs for the cheap titanuims dont really see much difference in catting with one vs the other.

satisfactionII 01-27-2006 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by GOODT
I know the feeling I actually have about 4 sets of snapons but ussually only use the cobolts... h*ll I think I paid for my snappy dealers house over the years

Don't worry You did :drink: :D

satisfactionII 01-27-2006 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Greenfield, Clevland Twist are both excellant drills. Stay away from the imports, unless you just drill plastic. You can tell a cheap drill from a quality one just by looking at them.

Agreed.
And never buy a drill bit at Wal-Mart, the auto parts store or a hardware store. If you want a good drill bit, get them from a machine tool company and its gonign to be like your boat. Expensive.

vonwolske 01-27-2006 10:45 PM

I think the cobalt is better because it is the same material all the way through the tool. Conversely, the titanium is just a coating and only provides surface hardness.

This is something like the Craftsman Tap and Die sets called "Krome-edge". Chromium is very hard, but once you break through the hard chrome, they are nfg.

However, I did buy the $20 titanium set at Harbor Freight at the blessing and endorsement of my fishing buddy who is a retired tool and die maker. I will see how this pans out.

I like the Hansen Cobalt bits the best, but can't find them around here. Even hold up well when drilling stainless steel. I used to buy them at Farm and Fleet in Wisconsin. Great products and cheap prices. Haven't been back in a while.

open87 01-29-2006 09:32 AM

found these.. seems like a good price with free shipping

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/IRW-63138.html

vonwolske 01-29-2006 01:10 PM

open 72;
those bits will be as good as you can find. I highly recommend them.

Check the mfgr's website for hints on drilling stainless steel.
The trick is to not let the bit skate on the stainless workpiece or it will work harden the stainless steel. Once you start turning a chip, keep going. Best to drill pilot hole first, then drill out to required size. May take two step of drilling before final hole. That helps the drilling process and helps to center the hole correctly.