Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   boat transportation question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/121584-boat-transportation-question.html)

The Menace 02-02-2006 04:29 PM

Re: boat transportation question

Opps, just checked the web site, I beleive it is sold out already. :(

bgchuby01 02-02-2006 06:22 PM

How can a poker run be sold out? But anyway I will be there with another boat so I could not bring your boat there. Thanks anyway.

IDRPSTF 02-03-2006 12:40 AM

Get certified to do Repo's with that thing and you'll make a killing (B.Y.O.V) Bring your own vest.
Jeff, overall I think its a good idea. For all the boats I have sold and shipped all over this country, $.25 per mile should not be the make it or break it. I have shipped boats that have lost Wheels, blown tires, been pulled over for no plates, been pulled over for bad wires (Tell me all your lights REALLY work all the time). You name the bad luck story... and I own it! Needless to say, I think you will get your hauls from dealers and builders. And dont rule out contracting to Repo companies.

bgchuby01 02-03-2006 07:00 AM

Yes I think that for the extra expense, most dealers that I already haul for like the idea. The last trailer I towed was a myco and I never before have I had so much problems. 3 bearing failures at different times on one trip. And I put grease in before I left. But that is not normal, we all know Myco trailers have the smallest percentage of breakdowns. But if this boat and trailer was on the big trailer I would have not lost close to 8 hours of trip time. As for plates I keep a spare California trailer plate with me so that I am not going down the freeway bare and invite mr law.

dhlaw 02-03-2006 07:05 AM

Jeff,
give me a shout. I have a question about the fishing boat you hauled for me.

bgchuby01 02-03-2006 07:41 AM

call my cell again, was in the other room and did not hear it

TSPM 02-03-2006 08:03 AM

Jeff...I like the idea :drink:

tony3 02-03-2006 08:33 PM

Hey Jeff I'm sitting in the office and wanted to reply to the one post that one of the guys stated. The Curtain van or roll rite is great but you(the Boat Owner) are know with additional cost of a crane or heavy lift with straps to both off load and load. A heavy lift tow truck will run $125.00 per hour plus $85.00 for a call out. The Trail eze can be loaded at the owners residence and off loaded at ? The curtain van you also lose 3.5ft in the front of the trailer when pushed forward and 3.5 ft if pushed all the way to the back.
Yes running a semi is more expensive than a one ton dually and you have logs and scales and D.O.T. to deal with but would a customer feel more at ease knowing his investment is safe from road hazards and protected in case of a accident. A unregistered trailer will get that boat impounded for 30days and will not be able to roll until it has plates.How do you explain that. A non certified ICC carrier can also have that load seized at a port on entry if stopped. This idea of transporting a boat is a win win for all parties. Safe boating.
TonyP( the new guy) nobody knows me YET hahaha

JB4Boyne 02-03-2006 10:21 PM

Tony, you can mount the Roll-Tite kit to a Trail eze or in Jeffs case a Landoll and he doesn't need any type of lift unless he is putting boats on without trailers. Also the Roll-Tite isn't a curtain van and the tarp system only goes forward and doesn't restrict loading, you can pull the tarp around the front of the bulkhead and have a full 53' of loading area and I don't think he will have many boats over that, if he does he can leave the rear open so the back of the boat hangs out. Look close at the photos.

tony3 02-03-2006 11:10 PM

Hey JB, Thanks for the response. The roll- tite is the samething as a curtain van ,rolling Tarp system by minute man,Conestoga van they all are the same thing . They roll a heavy vinyl forward or back on the rub rail of a flat bed or step-deck trailer. There is no way to mount a rolling curtain on a trail-eze or landoll because there is no railing on those trailers.The Roll-Tite will have a bulk head front and back of the trailer with either drop down vinyl door or swing doors at the rear. A flat bed trailer is approx 49" off the deck and a step deck is approx 38"of the deck. There is no winch system on either of those trailer and the ramps you would need to get a trailer up on those trailers would have to be almost 32ft to achieve a load angle of less than 5 degrees.The only way to load that flat or step deck trailer is a crane or heavy lift. I run a 53ft dry van that is 48" off the deck and 44" off the deck with air bags dumped and use a 18ft ramp to load motorcycles and still have to uses additional ramps to get the long choppers in the trailer because the load angle.. I don't see how you can load that roll-tite safely. I was able to get 4.18 degree load angle on that trail-eze. . That trail-eze or landoll can be loaded at the customers house or place of business as long has the address is tractor trailer accessible.
Thanks for the discussion JB talk with you again soon.

TonyP(the new guy)