Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   boat transportation question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/121584-boat-transportation-question.html)

Sydwayz 02-03-2006 11:29 PM

Re: boat transportation question

BC,
It sounds like you have the right idea. With the trailer you are going to have, you have much more flexibility in cargo transport; as in Prevosts and other motorhomes, and well as travel trailers. If I were you, I would also look into the product mentioned like Roll-Tite offers. Not only does it protect the boat from road and weather hazards, but it also takes away the time, expense, materials, and pain-in-the-assness of shrink-wrapping. Make sure your customers know that they do not have this expense when shipping enclosed if you go with such a product. Yes, it puts the ownus of weather proofing on you, but make sure you have that writer into your insurance policy. This also removes the potential of a boat cover coming loose while in shipment and damaging the boat, or coming off completely, and causing other havoc. Are you planning on dragging boats/trailers up the semi-trailer with a winch? If so, I would also look into fabricating some type of tri-pod with big casters on it, that would have a trailer hitch ball on top. This will enable you to take the stress off of a trailer tongue stand with a wheel on it, which would not transverse the transition from ground to trailer too well. You can hook your winch directly to this tripod, and again, eliminate any liability with tearing up someone's trailer/tongue stand.

JB4Boyne 02-04-2006 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by tony3
Hey JB, Thanks for the response. The roll- tite is the samething as a curtain van ,rolling Tarp system by minute man,Conestoga van they all are the same thing . They roll a heavy vinyl forward or back on the rub rail of a flat bed or step-deck trailer. There is no way to mount a rolling curtain on a trail-eze or landoll because there is no railing on those trailers.The Roll-Tite will have a bulk head front and back of the trailer with either drop down vinyl door or swing doors at the rear. A flat bed trailer is approx 49" off the deck and a step deck is approx 38"of the deck. There is no winch system on either of those trailer and the ramps you would need to get a trailer up on those trailers would have to be almost 32ft to achieve a load angle of less than 5 degrees.The only way to load that flat or step deck trailer is a crane or heavy lift. I run a 53ft dry van that is 48" off the deck and 44" off the deck with air bags dumped and use a 18ft ramp to load motorcycles and still have to uses additional ramps to get the long choppers in the trailer because the load angle.. I don't see how you can load that roll-tite safely. I was able to get 4.18 degree load angle on that trail-eze. . That trail-eze or landoll can be loaded at the customers house or place of business as long has the address is tractor trailer accessible.
Thanks for the discussion JB talk with you again soon.

TonyP(the new guy)

Tony, Thanks for trying to tell me how they work, I have some of them mounted on Reitenour's. They are not the same as curtain sided vans, curtain sides have a hard nonremovable roof and swinging doors. Our Reitenours have NO side rails or pockets just like the Landoll. The Roll-Tite doesn't roll on the rub rail, they have there own track that they can mount to just about anything. (if your willing to pay the price) And also there is no bulkhead on the rear of the trailer. They could mount it on a Landoll very easy. They run around $40,000 depending on what you get.

tony3 02-04-2006 03:02 AM

I have a rolling tarp system by Conestoga it does not have a roof so you are right but it does have rear doors that it connects to. And why would you put a $40.000 dollar system on a landoll and limit your loading options. How and where would you mount the system to? These trailers are steel rails with a 12ft upper deck and 40ft lower deck.How do you not damage the system when operate the trailer to the loading position. How do you load the boat and trailer without a lift on a step-deck? Flatbeds and step-decks don't work well for this application. Now a 13'6" trailer doesn't work well with a 13'8" load. You limit yourself with this type of system.It would be nice to cover the boat while in route to the customer but not really practical.To costly to add to a 70k trailer,OK for a 32k flatbed combo if your trucking business is one that you would have to tarp most of your loads..

got to go
TonyP

RHC 02-04-2006 09:25 AM

Well now,,,, U kids are starting to figure it out!!! :D Trucking ,, just like boating ,,,, is a compromise :drink: :drink: no one unit will do everything. :rolleyes: Just keep the pickup and do the job. :D :D

RHC

JB4Boyne 02-04-2006 10:23 AM

Tony, you have to think out side the box, everything is possible if you want to pay the price.
First, your the one that has limited yourself by putting rear doors on a flat bed. How do fasten your tarp kit to the bulk head and run down the road with your kit open if you are hauling a high dollar wide load? You can't with rear doors!
As far as mounting the track to the side of a Landoll you just have to have a seam where the two decks meet and just open the kit before you break the trailer open to load.
And your the only one that keeps talking about a step-deck or flatbed.
Remember, think outside the box.
As I said before in a post, Roll-Tite told me they could mount there system to just about anything, they can even mount it to a normal boat trailer, they would have to weld a square frame around it first to mount the track and headboard. But everything is possible!
I think someday you might see a few of them on boat trailers. Just think your boat would never have to be expossed to the weather and you wouldn't need a garage. It would be in it's own garage from the time you pulled it out of the water till you put it back in.

bgchuby01 02-04-2006 10:35 AM

I am not going to put any type of tarp on the sides. This trailer has a 20,000lbs winch at the front to self load a boat and trailer. The trailer has an wireless controller for the winch so that I can stand at the end of the trailer and guide the boat up. I will be able to loat trailers up 53 foot in length.

tony3 02-04-2006 01:19 PM

Hey Jb I completely understand the out side of the box thing. I was just saying it would be tough to do and hard to load.The Landoll and Trail-eze all weigh in at over 17000lbs then add all that extra metal and tarp along with the binder and straps it will be really heavy. Then to add cribbing to haul a boat with out a trailer why not just buy a special boat trailer that you see hauling sailboats and big power boats. The trail-eze and landoll open the door for self loading at the owners home and nor at a boat dealer or marina. Thats all I was trying to say. Hey If you want we can load this on a cargo plane and ship it to cross country in 6 hours (HAHAH). I was being funny to early here. If you have the $$$ you can build anything...
Go Steelers.
TonyP
I think we have beaten this horse up pretty good. Not one trailer can do all the jobs just like one boat is good for everything either.